Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LJ Jubner View Post
    Great Quote jevon.

My best response is
    Knowing DG and how life really works, I felt the need to keep this under wraps at least till more community involvement was required. When this was first broached I was not in charge but was asked to participate. My continued participation is not predicated on anyone else's desires.

I am reminded by the recent Mystery BYOP. The owner commented to me How many times he was "cornered about the possibilities about DG's future there. With this recent experience in mind. I felt it prudent to keep the process quiet until such a time as deemed necessary or at least outed by the local paper.

With that said, and just because it was not discussed here, online did not mean many conversations have taken place about this and many other projects "in the works."

As far as clear direction goes

It seems I have a good idea where I am headed.
    I guess I get the idea behind it Jub, I was just shocked to hear it pop up in the paper and yet heard nothing from the SDGC, Chainbangerz club, or this forumn. When it was first brought up, I spoke with Randy Cox and expressed an interest in wanting to be apart of this being that it was so close to home. That is all. I do appreciate that this is happening, just don't feel it is right to be in the dark when myself and others wanted to help.
    Last edited by JR Stengele; March 18th, 2010, 07:06 PM.
    "What's in the bag", pdga #37977, dgcr #356, **Team Chainbanger'z**

You are never really playing an opponent. You are playing yourself, your own highest standards, and when you reach your limits, that is real joy.
    -- Arthur Ashe

Comment

Well, finally.

When I first got wind of Everett Parks looking to put in a course, I did a three week recon of every park and open space area within the city limits.
      I also have lived in the area for 15 years, and have an interest in more local courses.
      I have a nice big map of Everett and Lynnwood that makes it easy to figure out where a course might be possible.

My conclusions, which I Emailed to Randy in 2008, were that the best place I could see for a course was the south portion of Thornton Sullivan Park, which is unused, and has been for years. He Emailed me back, thanking me for the suggestion.

I cant see a full 18 hole layout, but a challenging 9 hole course, possibly with two sets of tees, could be easily installed.

I took my camera to all of the parks I visited, but ended up taking pictures in only one, Thornton Sullivan.
      And I took alot, more than 60 pictures, there are beautiful manicured lanes here everywhere. That stupid kid sees dead people, I see lanes.

I also found many great basket locations, as well as areas already graded in the right sizes for standard tee boxes. Course difficulites could include elevation change, water, narrow heavily wooded lanes, a peninsula basket, a basket hidden behind a 5 foot tall boulder and more.

This park is perfect !

I will share the pics as I upload them, so you guys can all daydream about lanes too.
      Here is the first six.

Comment

So is Jub the only disc golfer working with the city on this course? It sure would be nice to have some "transparency" for things like this. There is a lot of talent in the area regarding experience working with the city, fund raising, course design, etc... It might benefit the course to have some inputs from others.

I had also spoken with Randy Cox and volunteered my support to do whatever I could, but I didn't hear anything back. I believe he got a job in California?
        Last edited by LakeStevensBA; March 19th, 2010, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Multiple perspectives on course design is always a good thing
          Read this ^

Comment

BA ever heard the analogy of too many cooks spoiling the stew?
            Especially when it comes to making and FOLLOWING THROUGH with commitments. I do remember sending you the PowerPoint presentation.

When the Lazy B first solicits new accounts Do they show up with the local rank and file or as an individual representing a group?

DG'rs for the most part are lip service orientated ie, What can this do for me personally? and Why is it not happening RIGHT NOW! They make grand commitments but lack the intestinal fortitude to see them through. We have enough of an image problem without players blowing smoke up local governments skirts. P/R 's like to think we have our collective shit together so we need to help that mentality along by at the very least looking unified as a group.

I have asked Keith, JR Stengle, Silly and DK Star to help. If the Capn is interested he is also welcome. Same with Matt Broers
            So as you can see I am not the only one involved with this just the one who answers the phone and can show for meetings. By the way the meeting the day before yesterday was changed three times that day before it actually happened. (9:30, Noon, 2:15.) Would you have had the flexibility to accommodate such last minute changes?
            rewindb.com

Comment

Originally posted by LakeStevensBA View Post
              So is Jub the only disc golfer working with the city on this course? It sure would be nice to have some "transparency" for things like this. There is a lot of talent in the area regarding experience working with the city, fund raising, course design, etc... It might benefit the course to have some inputs from others.

I had also spoken with Randy Cox and volunteered my support to do whatever I could, but I didn't hear anything back. I believe he got a job in California?
              After looking at the park some, I agree that it could be an amazing 9 hole-duel tee course. Lots of elements in play. BA, perhaps some of us could meet up in April and take a look around. We could then go play a round at MLT or somewhere else. Sounds like Jub is interested in different perspectives, just wanted to wait and find out that it was for sure going to happen before giving false hope.

You are never really playing an opponent. You are playing yourself, your own highest standards, and when you reach your limits, that is real joy.
              -- Arthur Ashe

Comment

Have faith in the JubJub....

He will deliver us all from evil
                Read this ^

Comment

Added thought Maybe we should start a basket fund for the shit hole. talk about a great park wasted with plastic patio furniture
                  rewindb.com

Comment

Originally posted by DMajor View Post
                    Have faith in the JubJub....

He will deliver us all from evil
                    So you Say you know me huh.

I am just the guy who goes into the seven eleven to buy the devil cigarettes
                    rewindb.com

Comment

Originally posted by LJ Jubner View Post
                      Added thought Maybe we should start a basket fund for the shit hole. talk about a great park wasted with plastic patio furniture
                      Jub, sorry if I rattled your cage a little. I was just surprised when I read this in the Herald and there has been no talk about it on the forum. It's good to see that you are working on this and thanks to you and the others for all your efforts.

Regarding all your other comments...uh....yeah...

Comment

Randy moving to Cali would explain why I have received no emails from him.

I would be happy to contribute to a "basket and mat fund".
                        What part of the puzzle does the city do ?
                        Is it simply them giving the go ahead ?
                        Does the local disc golf community bear the whole responsibility for installing and maintaining the course, or is the city paying for the improvements, like they do with swing sets and slides ?

If you wanna be the talking head dealing with the city, then please, by all means, go ahead Mr. Jubner, all I ask is that you keep everyone else updated.

Couple more pics.

Comment

I have a close friend and fellow disc golfer who lost a leg, and the mention of a wheelchair accessible course would be dreams coming true for us both. He learned to play prior to losing his leg, and still gets out there when the conditions are perfect. Depending on how much strength he has for the day, he uses the chair or the cane and prosthetic leg. It is incredible to see him drive so well from the chair, but a pain to push his chair over the pig bark fairway, to his upshot for 9 holes. My back hurts really bad afterward. If there were concrete paths he could play our local course no problem. He cannot get around on the course if it there is any mud whatsoever.

If you need a handicapable, disc golf enthusiast test subject, we are available.

What do you envision as making a course wheelchair accessable? The area looks fairly level elevation, which will be a big help.

Comment

There is some elevation, some wet marshy areas, and some other whatnot fyi.

-- Arthur Ashe

Comment

My vision of wheelchair holes is Tee on pavement. Basket right next to pavement. Player throws has a second brings it 90' back to path throws again. I could see as many as 5 accessible holes on this site.
                              rewindb.com

Comment

Are the plans only for the southern end of the park? We took a look at the site yesterday and were thinking there could be nine holes in the southern end and nine in the wooded area between the park and the freeway. Either way please sign me up for any work parties, meetings or whatever.

Looking forward to a Basket Fund Raising Event.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X