• Crucial meeting in Eugene on Wednesday 3/10

Hi all,

ALTON BAKER DISC GOLF MEETING
    WED MARCH 10
    6-8 PM
    CAMPBELL SENIOR CENTER-MAIN HALL
    155 HIGH ST EUGENE
    (541) 682-5318

It is very important that everyone who can make this meeting on Wed Mar 10 at 6pm to 8 pm get there a little early if you want a seat. Bring some friends along too.
    A couple of years ago Dave Battaglia who works for parks and recreation for Eugene came to our club meeting and asked us to support the future of disc golf by filling out a city produced questionnaire. It turned out that once word spread, and copies were filled out and sent in to the city it was decided that the city Needed to have 6 courses (one for each area of the city). Eugene's master plan now includes those 6 courses as goals to accomplish. It was the show of support that caused this to happen.
    Now we have the opportunity to have a huge mass of support for a course at Alton Baker park. There will be other user groups at this meeting representing their own points of view on disc golf. With a strong showing I think we will have enough eloquent voices to answer any concerns of naysayers, as well as showing a continued need for more courses. I am not sure if there are any action items happening. I believe it is a meeting to introduce the public to the proposed plan for disc golf at Alton Baker park, and to address any concerns such as "butterfly habitat" and other issues. Hope this clarifies things.
    Sunny days, Bruce

P.S. Please be courteous at the meeting (that goes without saying, right?)

Boning up ( i love that phrase) on some interesting facts before the meeting may help the cause..

here is one for ya.... Austin TX has seventeen courses within 17 miles.
    The PDGA site has a wealth of info to research

Comment

Tonight's the night

BE there if you can. Sacrifice 2 hours for disc golf.

Comment

I just saw a blip about this on the KVAL website...

Comment

http://sheldon.kval.com/content/18-h...ton-baker-park
          Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by hyzerbomb View Post
            A couple of years ago Dave Battaglia who works for parks and recreation for Eugene came to our club meeting and asked us to support the future of disc golf by filling out a city produced questionnaire. It turned out that once word spread, and copies were filled out and sent in to the city it was decided that the city Needed to have 6 courses (one for each area of the city). Eugene's master plan now includes those 6 courses as goals to accomplish.
            Wow. Way to go, Eugene! I wish all cities thought like this.

Comment

Dress up nice; shave; bring DG-playing kids if possible.
              Oregon disc golf map

Comment

uggghhh!! I'm so bummed that I have to work tonight!

EVERYBODY THAT CAN ATTEND THIS MEETING SHOULD; OUR PRESENCE IS CRUCIAL . . .

Keep it positive . . . this will be awesome for the Willamette Valley community!

-Derek
                new DGO.com up soon

Comment

"KVAL News got a tip that there will be a City of Eugene meeting to discuss a possible 18-Hole Disc Golf Course at Alton Baker Park"

I wonder if the "tip" they got was from the City of Eugene website or the ad that ran in the Register-Guard on Saturday. Real investigative journalism.

I'll be there, shaved and in a collared shirt!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                    Wow. Way to go, Eugene! I wish all cities thought like this.
                    This Eugene Parks Master Plan is actually not currently in effect due to a legal challenge to the process by which it was adopted, and the scope of this plan is also long term, meaning 30? years in the future planning. But it does in fact say that in the long run there should be one disc golf facility in each of the six park planning sub-areas.

SO, it's a great thing that it's in there, and shows that the City does recognize the popularity of the sport and feasibility of courses, even if it doesn't mean we'll be playing them soon. We are definitely seeing some progress in Eugene and I hope we make a step in the right direction tonight at the meeing.

Comment

Meeting Summary

This was a great experience! Hearing a representative of the City of Eugene parks planning staff acknowledge that there is clearly a need to provide more disc golf courses in Eugene was music to the groups ears. This meeting was not a referendum or show of force to convince the City to install a course, it was the City laying out their proposal for the course and the process by which it would be established. All Alton Baker Park user groups were invited, but only disc golfers showed up. When asked for a show of hands of disc golfers, basically the whole room raised its hands. When asked if anyone there was NOT a disc golfer, one woman raised her hand. Neil (parks planner) asked her what her affiliation with the park was and she said "My son and husband are disc golfers". Neil told me he'd probably have to hold another meeting so that other parks users had another opportunity.

In a nutshell, the City wants to provide disc golfers with more courses and has identified a portion of West Alton Baker park as the best site due to adequate parking, usable space, bathrooms, and lack of sensitive habitat, as well as some variety in terrain, trees, etc. The area of the course proposal is essentially the same as the course that Andrew and others laid out and that we played for the tournaments this past year. It's roughly 20 acres, which is doable but a tight squeeze for 18 holes. The City is definitely interested in input from the dg community on the design, and is also considering having the course designed by a designer.

The potential course does not need voter approval but there will be a period of public comment. Neil indicated that he did not feel that any challenge or objections would be sustainable based on the criteria of the process and that any snags along the way could be dealt with and would likely only result in a short delay at worst. The timeline seems to be late summer at the earliest, a year and a half in the worst case scenario.

Funding, operations, maintenance are the big unknowns. The City is experiencing major financial cutbacks including elimination of whole programs and probably job cutbacks coming up. Not the best time to be establishing something new but we have several factors on our side, especially that the City already has baskets and that we have a large and willing volunteer group to install and maintain the course. However, the course may be a pay-to-play course run by a contractor who would win a contract through a Request-for-Proposal process. I think the City planners are considering this option as a way to counter the financial shortfalls in the budget. Pay to play is just an option at this point, nothing is set in stone. This meeting was the first public rollout of the concept of the course being at Alton Baker, and there is more work and many decisions to be made.

That's it in a nutshell. Very good news overall for DG in Eugene! If you haven't taken this survey http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/H2DPPPZ please do so. You do not have to take it more than once, it's not a show of people who want a course - they already want to give us one! You can also learn more about the proposal by going to www.eugene-or.gov/discgolf . For more information about the meeting or the process, please contact Parks and Open Space Planning Manager Neil Björklund at 541-6582-4909 or neil.h.bjorklund@ci.eugene.or.us.
                      Last edited by Matt B.; March 16th, 2010, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the update...

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        This sounds so great! Having a course, whatever it is, on that peice of land is going to raise the profile of disc in Eugene in a big way!

Comment

What happened?

What was the results of the Meeting? Is there a projected date that we will be able to start flinging discs at Alton Baker? I'm new to your community and to the game in general, but it is a great "free" past time and I look forward to more courses to play in the Eugene area.

Comment

Originally posted by EP73Pinto View Post
                            What was the results of the Meeting? Is there a projected date that we will be able to start flinging discs at Alton Baker? I'm new to your community and to the game in general, but it is a great "free" past time and I look forward to more courses to play in the Eugene area.
                            The results were pretty much as described above. There haven't been any new developments that I've heard about in the meantime. I believe there are a few planning processes that are still being worked through by the Parks Dept, and as of yet there is no start date for installation. I'm guessing the earliest things might get moving is the fall?

Welcome to Eugene - once this course installation gets moving we'll all need to help.

Comment

You have to love the people's republic of Eugene!

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X