Alton Baker Park Disc Golf Course (Eugene, OR) - Meeting Wed. 3/10 Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alton Baker Park Disc Golf Course (Eugene, OR) - Meeting Wed. 3/10

There is a meeting next Wed, March 10th, 2010 about the city's proposal for the Alton Baker Disc Golf Course. Dave Battaglia attended the last EDGC meeting and said the Wed meeting will
    be a presentation to all the stake holders at Alton Baker Park, runners,
    bike riders, Cuthbert people, memorial people, and Disc Golf...ers.
    Dave asked that we get a large group of discgolfers to attend. As soon
    as I can get the meeting location and time I post it or someone else
    that knows will. Please, if someone that was at the last club meeting knows, post the time and location...don't make me come looking for it!

Originally posted by Roller Bob View Post
    There is a meeting next Wed, March 10th, 2010 about the city's proposal for the Alton Baker Disc Golf Course. Dave Battaglia attended the last EDGC meeting and said the Wed meeting will
    be a presentation to all the stake holders at Alton Baker Park, runners,
    bike riders, Cuthbert people, memorial people, and Disc Golf...ers.
    Dave asked that we get a large group of discgolfers to attend. As soon
    as I can get the meeting location and time I post it or someone else
    that knows will. Please, if someone that was at the last club meeting knows, post the time and location...don't make me come looking for it!
    I don't know the meeting time and location but I will call the planner today and find out. I did find this :

http://www.eugene-or.gov/portal/serv...Golf_Final.pdf

This appears to be the proposal and presentation. It looks great! I have to admit I was doubtful the process would get this far at Alton Baker. I am very enthused about our prospects! At the end of the PDF is a link to a SurveyMonkey. Anyone who has played or wants to play a course at Alton Baker should take the survey - it does not say it is limited to Eugene residents.

I will be at this meeting.

Comment

The survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/H2DPPPZ
      Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Thanks to Adam Bell, we now know the time and location. I pasted his post for all that are interested.

Calling all Disc Golfers
        If you only make it to one meeting make it this one
        Bring your spouse, your friends you neighbors
        Alton Baker Disc Golf Meeting
        Wed March 10
        6-8 pm
        Campbell Senior Center
        155 High St.
        (541) 682-5318

PLEASE!!!!!!
        PLEASE!!!!!!
        PLEASE!!!!!!
        PLEASE!!!!!!
        PLEASE!!!!!!

Comment

Here's the email I got from Neil, the Parks Planner (and I believe he plays Ultimate). It includes another link that introduces the situation and shows how the City is presenting this to the public. This meeting invite has gone out to all interested user groups at Alton Baker, which means the trail runners, the citizens who have adopted the natural area, and others will also be in attendance. Let's make a good, respectful, intelligent, enthusiastic showing!

Planning Meeting for Disc Golf in West Alton Baker Park

City of Eugene Parks and Open Space and Recreation staff are kicking off a public process to consider a new 18-hole disc golf course for Alton Baker Park. We’d like to make sure you’re aware this is happening and that you have an opportunity to provide input and feedback into the process.

The first meeting will be Wednesday evening, March 10th from 6-8 p.m. at the Campbell Senior Center, 155 High Street in Eugene.

We invite you to come to the meeting, find out about the process, the ideas under consideration, and to give us your opinion!

If you are unable to attend the March 10 meeting, you can still be involved by taking this short on-line survey at http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/H2DPPPZ

You can also learn more about the proposal by going to www.eugene-or.gov/discgolf . For more information about the meeting or the process, please contact Parks and Open Space Planning Manager Neil Björklund at 541-6582-4909 or neil.h.bjorklund@ci.eugene.or.us.

Comment

Alrighty so what's the ststus of this course? The UO disc golf club needs a decent place to meet and play in town once school starts back up next month

Comment

Yea, I'd like to know as well. Last I heard was that there was a meeting in March. Since then nada. It's listed on the oregondiscgolf.com map as a planned course. It'd sure be nice to have another one in Eugene!

Comment

Originally posted by mattk42 View Post
                Yea, I'd like to know as well. Last I heard was that there was a meeting in March. Since then nada. It's listed on the oregondiscgolf.com map as a planned course. It'd sure be nice to have another one in Eugene!
                More info in this thread:

http://www.nwdiscgolfnews.com/forum/...9377#post69377

Info on the City website:

http://www.eugene-or.gov/portal/serv...17&PageID=4296

http://www.eugene-or.gov/portal/serv...Golf_Final.pdf

Last I heard from Neil, the City Planner running the process, was that they were still committed to disc golf at Alton Baker, and the official position has not changed. They were still in the process of submitting changes to some of the local planning documents and it was taking longer than expected but not because of any specific problems with disc golf.

However, the City has significant budget problems including huge cutbacks to Parks and Open Space. Although in my opinion Alton Baker is not a good choice for a "pay-to-play" course, the City does seem to be leaning to wanting that scenario as a funding mechanism. Personally, I think the local disc golf community could not only raise the needed funds for installation, but could keeep the course maintained as well, which would leave only some big mowing to be done a few times a year. But that's just me.

This is Eugene. Disc golfers have been trying and failing to get a new course for 20 years or so. It will not be fast, and it will probably not be easy. Still, this seems to be the closest we've come to having a new course. The City finally officially recognizes the need and endorses the idea of at least one new course. Whether that translates to action in the near term I guess we will see. There's a lot of cynical rumors floating around and Eugene disc golfers surely have reason to be cynical given the history of no new courses in Eugene amidst the explosion of courses in other cities around the region. But until the City officially changes it's story, which in March was 'hopefully 18 months at the outside' I am going to keep hoping.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X