Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clackamas Parks meeting, Thursday 1/14 - who's coming?

North Clackamas Parks and Recreation District Advisory Board Meeting!

This Thursday, 5:30 PM, Milwaukie Center off Rusk Rd. & Hwy. 224.

More details here: http://www.nwdiscgolfnews.com/forum/...ead.php?t=3737

This may be the last chance to speak up for disc golf in the Milwaukie area... who's with me? C'mon Stumptown, I know you guys have a meeting this Tuesday; stuff like this is why the club exists, right?
    Oregon disc golf map

fighting bigger battles!

I think it is great you have chosen to spearhead this project and be the point man on the DG'ers side. Thank you for your time on this project, it seems very important to you. However, I feel this space may not be the best fit for DG. It seems you are up against tough opposition for this tiny prime piece of land. the environmentalist set will never let any clearing of fairways happen if DG is included in this plan. I was looking at google maps, as you often do. I noticed how this is a true rarity within the immediate area. A natural space may be the best answer for this area. If you need more enthusiastic people to join your cause. YOU must sound the trumpets. IE go to the Stumptown meeting and explain whats up .... face to face is far more effective than just spouting off into the interwebs about how this cause is the reason our club exists. I am fully aware that Stumptown is busy as a ________ !!!! On courses which are already in process. I DO hope this all works out for you and I have a new course to play on.... but I will most likely be seeing it as I pass...... headed to MILO

Let the shit storm begin !!!!!!

steve

Comment

"Tiny" piece of land? It's 100 acres, and we're asking for 5-10.

But if you think it's a bad idea, then find another piece of suitable land that doesn't require burning a gallon or more of hydrocarbons to get there from the biggest population center in Oregon.

As for Stumptown, Bob Cabal lives in Milwaukie and has been to the Clackamas Parks open houses. I trust him to spread the word.
      Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
        "Tiny" piece of land? It's 100 acres, and we're asking for 5-10.

But if you think it's a bad idea, then find another piece of suitable land that doesn't require burning a gallon or more of hydrocarbons to get there from the biggest population center in Oregon.

As for Stumptown, Bob Cabal lives in Milwaukie and has been to the Clackamas Parks open houses. I trust him to spread the word.
        Adam, as I am not currently involved with Stumptown and most likely won't be going to the meeting Tuesday, it might be a good idea if you COULD go. I WILL try to make the meeting Thursday night however.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by "Over the Hill" Bob View Post
          Adam, as I am not currently involved with Stumptown
          I didn't know... you seemed like one of their most visible members a year ago!
          Oregon disc golf map

Comment

5-10 disjointed acres

will surely not make anything more than another rockwood or vance. I will STILL need to burn the same amount of fuel as before to get to an 18 hole course.

Comment

Originally posted by sands.steven View Post
              will surely not make anything more than another rockwood or vance. I will STILL need to burn the same amount of fuel as before to get to an 18 hole course.
              Yes, that's true. It would most likely be a nine-hole course. But still the only one anywhere near most of Southeast Portland, and a good opportunity to show off our sport to the locals.

Or do you think that we shouldn't bother putting in anything but "pro"-level courses? How does that help grow the sport?
              Oregon disc golf map

Comment

I am not a Pro.... nor do I claim to only play on pro level courses.

I would like to return to my original point. the environmentalist set is correct in trying to save this land .... it is the only open space in the area.Will the mixed use of this space be best for everyone? Will you have to battle to cut a single shrub, or pour a Tee sign or worse a tee pad? In one post you argue about carbon????? Are you going to leave the terrain exactly as it is? or kill a carbon scrubber or two in your quest to save gas for the good folks of SE?..... mind you I live in SE and can get to 2 courses in less than 15 minutes (Leverich & Lunchtime).... both short courses... like the one you are working on. Which part of "most of southeast" are you talking about ?...lets grow the sport..... with the surrounding community backing us !!!! not in opposition. Some of the courses going in the ground right now have no outspoken opposition, and are using space that is not in high demand IE MHCC & Stubb

Every DGer DOES want this course.... But does the community want it?

Comment

The County wants it, because it will mean year-round foot traffic that will discourage the transients who have frequently set up camp down there. It's in the proposed Master Plan. The opposition is coming from a small band of habitat-restorers who don't even want trails put in (but they know they won't win that fight).

As for the lack of Southeast Portland disc golf, I'm talking about south of 26 and west/northwest of 205. There's nothing there, and no easy access to the existing courses.
                  Oregon disc golf map

Comment

I'm done hassling you... It is always nice to have new space to play in as long as it is supported by those who are non DG users. Hopefully I can make it on Thursday.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                    Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X