Metro buys 1,143-acre Chehalem Ridge property for future park - Gaston, OR Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metro buys 1,143-acre Chehalem Ridge property for future park - Gaston, OR

"Straddling the top of Chehalem Ridge, the new natural area provides panoramic views of surrounding farmland and five Cascade mountain peaks: Rainier, St. Helens, Adams, Hood and Jefferson."

Check out the article at:
    http://www.oregonmetro.gov/index.cfm/go/by.web/id=32140

Metro buys 1,143-acre Chehalem Ridge property for future park- Gaston Oregon

This recent acquistion caught my eye..I wonder if there's possibilities for a future DG course somewheres in the 1143 acres -although the below article indicates it's being purchased as a natural area, sounds like there might be room for other compatible recreational activities, DG for instance! Sounds like a cool place in any case.

Check out the article here:

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index...hase_on_c.html
    Last edited by Fridgecat; January 9th, 2010, 07:37 PM.

Comment

I saw that article today and wondered the same thing. Guess there's no harm in contacting someone at Metro and finding out what the plans are.
      Oregon disc golf map

Comment

metro is all about naturel area I have tryed with them and there is no way they will lets us put disc golf in there plans. they have alot of land and even next to the Mt hood college and they want to preserve the land. about the only thing that goes into metro land is walking trails thats it.
        X - Man

Comment

Originally posted by keith_shupp View Post
          metro is all about naturel area I have tryed with them and there is no way they will lets us put disc golf in there plans. they have alot of land and even next to the Mt hood college and they want to preserve the land. about the only thing that goes into metro land is walking trails thats it.
          I love natural areas and believe more of them need to be preserved. I do think disc golf can in some cases be compatible with natural areas. Whether or not providing that type of recreational facility is part of Metro's mission scope I do not know. One of the people in charge of this project is a former boss of mine and I will drop him a line to see if disc golf or other active recreation besides hiking trails would ever be considered. I'll report back with what I find out.

Comment

I actually heard on NPR, maybe last week (?), that for the first year after this asquisition they were not going to be allowing public access, but then they would consider ways to allow the public to get recreational use from the land... I don't think we should give up so easily... especially with the expansion of the lake happening (eventually... who knows when... but it will eventually happen... and the golf course, as well as my mother's home, may end up being partially underwater... ). I don't know as much as some people, I suppose, but I do remember feeling hopeful for another golf course after hearing about it on NPR...

peace threw disc golf,
            emmarose
            "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
            Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Originally posted by frizbeerose View Post
              I actually heard on NPR, maybe last week (?), that for the first year after this asquisition they were not going to be allowing public access, but then they would consider ways to allow the public to get recreational use from the land... I don't think we should give up so easily... especially with the expansion of the lake happening (eventually... who knows when... but it will eventually happen... and the golf course, as well as my mother's home, may end up being partially underwater... ). I don't know as much as some people, I suppose, but I do remember feeling hopeful for another golf course after hearing about it on NPR...

peace threw disc golf,
              emmarose
              Im not saying give up I have tryed with metro by MHCC and they said no way to disc golf. Metro was created to preserve the land and wild life in the area. They seem to pick land that is by streams and wet lands which wet land area,s fall under federal protection laws and the only thing that goes in those areas is walking trails and viewing area. All you can do is ask and hope you get a yes.
              X - Man

Comment

Im not saying give up I have tryed with metro by MHCC and they said no way to disc golf. Metro was created to preserve the land and wild life in the area. They seem to pick land that is by streams and wet lands which wet land area,s fall under federal protection laws and the only thing that goes in those areas is walking trails and viewing area. All you can do is ask and hope you get a yes.
                hmmm... boo for metro... but yay for preserving wildlife and wetlands I suppose...

peace,
                em
                "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

If a parcel of land is close to urban areas (or even if it's not), one way to argue for disc golf would be to say, "who do you want using that land: disc golfers throwing plastic around or transients setting up camps?"

The only problem is that sometimes disc golfers leave as much garbage as the bums.
                  Oregon disc golf map

Comment

A lot of the property that Metro buys doesn't get developed whatsoever, not even trails. For the most part their approach seems to be strictly restoration followed by leaving it as greenspace to preserve the particular watershed that they're targeting. I'd like to think they would make an exception given the size of this acquisition but I doubt it. Can't hurt to try.

Comment

Metro does all kinds of things... they're building a ball-golf facility in Fairview! http://www.oregonmetro.gov/index.cfm/go/by.web/id=22197
                      Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                        Metro does all kinds of things... they're building a ball-golf facility in Fairview! http://www.oregonmetro.gov/index.cfm/go/by.web/id=22197
                        Very true.

They also manage some well known developed parks such as Oxbow and Blue Lake Park. Speaking of which, have either of those been scouted for DG?

Comment

I've been to Blue Lake Park, and that place is a madhouse on summer days, because lakes are so rare in the Portland area. I can't imagine there's any way disc golf could fit in with all the picnics and such.
                          Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                            True, but that's at an established park where visitors are encouraged (Blue Lake, right?) vs. an area they purchased with natural area in mind. I suppose Oxbow and Blue Lake might once have been natural areas though!

Comment

It's clear from reading documents on Metro's Web site that the Chehalem Ridge property will not be left untouched -- at least not all of it. They're definitely planning trails, and the phrases "public access" and "recreation" are prominent. The question will be just how much.
                              Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X