Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harmony/Milwaukie: Parks Advisory Board meeting, 1/14/10

Just got an e-mail from Michelle Healy at NCPRD:
    We plan to present the concept plan to the park advisory board January 14 at the Milwaukie Center. The meeting starts at 5:30. Currently the plan includes the disc golf, however, I expect that there maybe some question about its inclusion. The DAB could recommend that it get taken out or changed - just like other things in the plan too (e.g. trails, picnic areas, etc).

You are welcome to come to the meeting to provide comments on the discussion. I'm sure there will be other people in attendance to do the same.

Give me a call if you need any more information, or details.
    So this may be the defining moment, and the last chance to make our voices heard. As she said, "there will be other people in attendance to do the same." (Personally, I plan on emphasizing the huge hole in the map in this part of the metro area, and the fact that a close-in course saves disc golfers a lot of long carbon-burning car trips.)

Here's a map to the (new) location: http://tinyurl.com/milwaukiectr -- I know 5:30 is early, but get there as soon as you can, and let's see if we can get as many DGers as we did last summer at the Greenway forum. This is two days after a Stumptown meeting, so hopefully it can be brought up there and it'll be fresh in people's minds.

TreeLove, can you calendarize it?
    Oregon disc golf map

I should be able to make the meeting.

Bob

Comment

Will do my best to get there in time... but I work till five in Cedar Hills. How long do these types of things usually run... probably couldn't be there till six.

Comment

Michelle told me they have administrative things to deal with first and probably won't get to the meat of the agenda until about 6:00 anyway... and who knows how long the comments and such might take. Just get there when you can.
        Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Bump.
          Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Adam is this basically just getting head count of discer's and how much we would play the course?

I do believe i will be there with my wife and son after visiting my in-laws at conv. home just across 224/Harmony.
            "In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NWDiscer View Post
              Adam is this basically just getting head count of discer's and how much we would play the course?
              No, for now I'm just trying to get people to attend the meeting on Thursday evening.

There's no question the course will get played if it's built. Leverich is a testament to that.
              Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Adam is this basically just getting head count of discer's

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                No, for now I'm just trying to get people to attend the meeting on Thursday evening.

ok

we will be there by 6 if my p.o.s. car keep's running
                "In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

FYI, Michelle forwarded me a message that was distributed to an e-mail list maintained by "Friends of North Clackamas Parks." The author of the message was very agitated about the future of the oak trees and such on the Harmony campus, and was trying to rally their troops to come to this meeting. The good news (maybe) is that they are mostly concerned about the possibility of new roads, runoff issues, etc., so maybe disc golf isn't even on their radar. Or maybe it is and this particular message didn't mention it. At any rate, we certainly won't be the only ones there wanting to make comments.

5:30 TONIGHT!
                  Oregon disc golf map

Comment

I won't be able to attend, as I work until 8 p.m. Booo!

Comment

I should be there a bit early.

Bob

Comment

Five of us turned out tonight, which wasn't too bad, given that the meeting was pretty small overall, spectator-wise.

The District Advisory Board was admittedly pretty skeptical about disc golf; it seems that their preference would probably be to leave the property alone completely. But we're still on the table because one of the County's goals is getting people to actually use the property (i.e., keep the bums out).

Apparently they don't normally take much in the way of public comments at these meetings, but because Michelle pointed out our patient presence and because they knew they were pretty clueless about disc golf, they did let me stand up for a few minutes and give an impromptu spiel about it.

I told them about the minimal environmental impact that a course has (especially compared to ball golf, which immediately springs to most people's minds when they hear "golf"). I pointed out that if they build a course, people WILL come and play throughout the year. I pointed out the lack of courses in this part of town, and that a local course would save everyone a lot of miles of driving -- and I asked them to please consider disc golf at other sites, if this one doesn't work out.

Then I took questions: Who organizes the tee times? How much does it cost to play? If we were charged a fee, would we still play? How wide are the fairways? Could you use a walking path as a fairway?

At the end of the three-hour meeting, the board voted 4-3 to do absolutely nothing. Well, technically, they voted to study the issue some more and find out whether, in their eyes, disc golf was an "appropriate" recreational activity on this piece of land. (Never mind that the planners and landscape architects already decided that it was.) So, we keep waiting. At least they didn't shut the door completely.

The good news is, we're very much on their radar, and we're making contacts. One of the DAB members is a Happy Valley City Councilor, and he gave me his business card, saying "we'd love to see disc golf in Happy Valley." Unfortunately, the exact parcel of land he was thinking of is a former soybean field -- but there may be other opportunities out there. Completely unrelated to the Harmony land, there was talk of the County possibly buying land surrounding a Boy Scout Lodge on a butte out in Happy Valley, and OTH Bob says it'd be a great place for a course... so we'll keep an eye on that. I also got the card of a pro-DG guy at Clackamas County who said he can get us in touch with the appropriate people to ask about Meldrum Bar Park in Gladstone.
                        Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Awesome! Thanks Adam, Bob and everyone else who made their presence known last night. I ended up having to work late and it looks like I missed the best meeting of them all thus far in regards to making our presence known.

The contacts you guys made in this meeting may add many more courses in the coming years than just this one if it works out.

Comment

Nice work ya'll.
                            Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

By the way, I found out that the DAB members are not elected, they're volunteers.... BOB??
                              Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X