Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Astoria: Buy a tamale, build a disc golf course

Anyone know anything about this?

http://www.dailyastorian.info/main.a...rticleID=66247

Community leadership class selling tamales as fundraiser for new disc golf park

The Ford Family Foundation, a private, nonprofit located in Roseburg, strives to help rural areas to achieve community vitality through a number of programs, including a series of training classes called the Ford Institute Leadership Program (FILP). Thirty community leaders from throughout the Lower Columbia Region are participating in this class, and have selected the creation of a disc golf course in the region to be their project.

To kick off the local fundraising for the installation of the course, the FILP class has partnered with the Lower Columbia Hispanic Council to sell authentic, Mexican homemade tamales in three flavors: spicy pork, spicy chicken or spicy pepper and cheese. The tamales are $2 each and can be ordered in any amount. The tamales will be delivered by class members Dec. 15 and 16. All orders must be received by Friday.

Each FILP class selects a project that they work on together which helps focus the course content on a real-world situation. The disc golf course will address several criteria that the class and the Ford Family Foundation identified: something tangible, simple enough to carry out within a year and a family or youth-oriented recreational activity which is environmentally friendly and beneficial to residents from both Pacific and Clatsop counties.

For information about the class or project, or to order tamales, go to (www.lowercolumbiadiscgolf.info) or call Regina Willkie at (503) 325-6311.

I'd buy a bunch of their tamales, but I don't think they'll deliver to Portland.
    Oregon disc golf map

Why not? I'm emailing them now. Just ship 'em on up!
    Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
    Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
    Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
    Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
    Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Are you volunteering to make a tamale run?
      Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by TreeLove View Post
        Why not? I'm emailing them now. Just ship 'em on up!
        Let us know what you find out, Gawain. I'd be willing to pick up a few for sure.

Bob

Comment

By the way, I did e-mail Ms. Willkie to ask about their plans and invite them to join the forum here. She said they've got at least one potential site identified but are keeping it on the down-low until they get final approval.
          Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Many others have also inquired / talked about picking up the tamales in person. I was referring to having them shipped, i.e. UPS. I will let you know what reply I get; maybe we can combine orders and make a run. Trojan/Lucky Mud/Skyline, anyone?

Comment

A Few??!!

Originally posted by "Over the Hill" Bob View Post
              Let us know what you find out, Gawain. I'd be willing to pick up a few for sure.

Bob
              I'm a little guy and just so you know I can kill about 10 tamales easy depending on how bravo (Spicy) they are!!

Comment

Looks like we may get a Portland delivery; let's combine orders; I am already up to 36 tamales; PM me your order and I will combine it!

Comment

Man, how did I miss this? I love me a veggie tamale! And a course in Astoria has long been my number one disc golf wish. That way I get to play on the day I have to go to town anyway.
                  The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                  ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Bring disc golf to the coast!

Hi all.

I'm with the Ford Leadership Institute class planning a disc golf course for the Astoria area, with the goal of providing more all-ages outdoor and fitness activities in our area. You can check us out at:
                    http://www.lowercolumbiadiscgolf.info/. On a personal note, it's a bummer to only get to play on trips to Portland. So, we welcome anyone who wants to help us get a course built out here. Besides, it's another great excuse to come visit the beautiful North Coast.

I'm currently doing outreach to recruit a course designer(s), plus folks interested in helping fund-raise or construct. We have a goal of building at least 9 holes in summer 2010. There's a lot of momentum -- local schools and parks and rec programs have been purchasing portable disc golf units so we know there is interest.

Let me know if you'd like to get involved, have some pointers, or want to know more about our potential locations. You can contact our group through the website, or contact me directly at:
                    russellmicah@hotmail.com
                    503-812-7522

Thanks very much!
                    -Micah Russell

Comment

So TreeLove, the Gibsons, Over the Hill Bob, and I bought 58 tamales between us... I'd like to think that made us some kind of heroes in the eyes of the disc golf fundraisers, but it turns out they sold more than 2000 of them!
                      Oregon disc golf map

Comment

I believe the Gibsons will be feasting on some Tamales tonight provided I can get over to Gawain's and pick them up!

ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                        ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                          I believe the Gibsons will be feasting on some Tamales tonight provided I can get over to Gawain's and pick them up!

Over the Hills family WILL be dining on Tamales tonight. Yummmmmmy! Thanks Gawain for taking the point on this. Can't wait to play some golf in Astoria too.

Bob

Comment

Tamales tonight here too. Supposedly the best way to heat them up is steaming them. I'm going to try the top-rack-of-the-oven-with-a-pan-of-water-underneath method.
                            Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                              Tamales tonight here too. Supposedly the best way to heat them up is steaming them. I'm going to try the top-rack-of-the-oven-with-a-pan-of-water-underneath method.
                              I used a large stock pot with a metal colander suspended and covered. Took longer than expected but worked.

Bob

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X