X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SMOKIN JOE View Post
    Hey Bob, that's what "Vice" means: The President uses you when he gets his a** in a vice!

if I were planning, I think I would find out why it didn't work so well at Oakway; seems like it didn't last so long there.

But of course, I was shot down for being honest to a ball golf course owner. And in our talking, another subject came up: I guess I shouldn't have been so honest there either, in telling him that it will no doubt bring a situation or two where people would not refrain from overtly smoking pot.

And I know I should have taken an expert with me or maybe got a pre-written speech, but in talking with the owner (Kit), he said that he has looked into it a couple of times since our last talk about it, and still does not see the profit in it yet. He did say that if it wasn't his money, he would be a lot more willing to get real about it; but he said discers would still pay the same to play. He also said 18 may be okay, as long as it didn't take longer to play than the ball-golf 9 -- which is a main issue to him.

Talking about Horning's made him think that might be the way to go... he has a few farms in the area, and said one near Mollala might be a candidate. He didn't like the idea of two courses playing at the same time due to etiquette reasons.

...So, sorry if I did wrong by talking to a ball golf course owner! Looks like if you want one here, you'll have to pay for it and then pay to play it. It's $18.00 per nine now.
    Huh, that was easier than I thought. Most of the words were there and in proper order...
    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Terry is always talking about his ancient computer. Perhaps they keyboard doesn't have any punctuation keys.

Comment

actually when I'm at work like now it will even punctuation, but I like it this way, it makes people think more

Comment

apparently your not reading things right again
          when someone else comes up with the money, no problem will talk real time
          to tell him he'll make PROFIT does not sound like something I would do as a FRIEND, not telling the truth is not my strongpoint, and then to tell him that there would never be a problem with people smoking pot does not seem very honest either, remember he is my FRIEND, and when I told him about the reaction on the forum he was turned off by the attitudes that was given to someone trying to get a course set up, and was very glad that I didn't use our FRIENDSHIP to persude him to do something that would not make a PROFIT and have a possitive impact on his MEMBERS, which I didn't talk about earlier, a lot of older people don't see things the way we do, and most of his MEMBERS or older,
          so tell me how I should have went about this again
          something about MONEY and PROFIT you don't understand

Comment

I know you guys are angry at each other and just getting personal, but I've got an idea! If this golf course owner is or was "seriously" thinking disc golf. Why not suggest a one time tourney on the course. It would give golfers a chance to check out a pay to play course, and give the owner a feel for disc golf on the property.

Ball golf course + Disc Golf = Tree lined, manicured fairway, sandtrap hazard, BLISS!
            A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

talked about that already
              to reserve the course for a weekend day would take 1500.00 bones
              plus we would still have to give way to MEMBERS
              good idea though
              does anybody understand PROFIT
              do you people think I don't want another course here
              so if you people really want to help
              it's simple, buck up or shut up,
              seems like I've done a good job here
              don't understand the responses
              the owner knows all about disc golf
              has for many years, he is my FRIEND,
              taught him how to play both styles of golf
              obviously he likes ball golf, bought himself a course
              not real interested in disc golf,
              but as my FRIEND he listens to me and if I can show him a way to make a PROFIT or if someone else wants to spend thier Money
              we can do something
              so again show me how I should have done this
              and sorry again for talking with a ball golf owner

Comment

still trying to figure out how I didn't work with the guy
                but that's the way this forum works for most
                type first think later
                only my opinion can be right regardless of fact
                simple question to answer
                How should I have done it then?

Comment

Nobody is saying that the course owner shouldn't make a profit. It does seem unlikely that disc golfers would pay $18.00 per round, but $10.00 /day might bring some in if the course is special. Assuming a modest 10 golfers a day, that is $700 a month. If the initial cost of the course is $20,000, ROI would be achieved in 28 months; less if more golfers pay to play the course, if the pro shop expanded to include discs, or if tournaments were held. Anything after that point would be, as you put it, PROFIT.

I think the reason people are angry is that you did not indicate that you offered the owner any solutions; you merely talked him out of adding a course.

Comment

Perhaps a seasonal course would be a possibility. I know most bolf (a term one of my friends coined, and I like it) courses have troubles getting players during the winter, could be a great opportunity for disc golf to be integrated.

The $10 a day thing might be a good compromise, but there'd be issues if the course is packed and you have bolfers signed up for tee times. Also, a course could be relatively inexpensive if just baskets were being bought (~$6000). If the course has cart paths, those could be utilized as tees.
                    Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

also been talked about
                      the course floods part of the time
                      which was something else I mentioned if I owned the property I would try to fix with my extra money
                      he has tried to buy adjacent properties to try to fix this problem for drainage
                      no such luck,
                      so bad weather makes for closed course unfortunately
                      early morning early in the week is best time to not interfear with MEMBERS
                      most afternoons and evenings do well,
                      good idea though
                      positive suggestions , wow, that's nice
                      so few and far between

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKIN JOE View Post
                        positive suggestions , wow, that's nice
                        so few and far between
                        I think that is most everyone's point.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                          Nobody is saying that the course owner shouldn't make a profit. It does seem unlikely that disc golfers would pay $18.00 per round, but $10.00 /day might bring some in if the course is special. Assuming a modest 10 golfers a day, that is $700 a month. If the initial cost of the course is $20,000, ROI would be achieved in 28 months; less if more golfers pay to play the course, if the pro shop expanded to include discs, or if tournaments were held. Anything after that point would be, as you put it, PROFIT.
                          Return on investment but what about upkeep and maintenance? Is a bolfer (thanks Tim) going to want to subsidize you? Why should you pay less than him? There is no way that a bolf course can make the same money off of disc golf than they can ball golf. Period. From an economic stand point one would be foolish to turn away someone paying twice as much money or more. The only way it would be feasible is if there was extra land or some way to set it up so that there would be absolutely no interference between the two.

Comment

Originally posted by jevon View Post
                            Return on investment but what about upkeep and maintenance? Is a bolfer (thanks Tim) going to want to subsidize you? Why should you pay less than him? There is no way that a bolf course can make the same money off of disc golf than they can ball golf. Period. From an economic stand point one would be foolish to turn away someone paying twice as much money or more. The only way it would be feasible is if there was extra land or some way to set it up so that there would be absolutely no interference between the two.
                            It doesn't have to be one or the other. Disc golf is being added to ball golf courses all across the country. Look for the number to rise as land becomes more difficult to obtain for new dg courses and as bg course owner try to increase the number of customers that visit their courses. Disc golfers and ball golfers can get along.

Why would there be increased maintenence? The maintenence is already being done.

Comment

I didn't talk him out of a course
                              not being able to show him a PROFIT is the main issue
                              along with how we would be accepted by the MEMBERS is another
                              If I weren't his FRIEND this wouldn't even be a subject
                              he is only talking about it because of me
                              I would not want to be responsible for a FRIENDS misfortune
                              again I say someone else put up the MONEY and we can really talk about it
                              he doesn't see the potential PROFITS
                              so in responce I guess I would find out more facts before posting things
                              in reference to me talking to anyone about anything
                              it's funny how I went from trying to get a course to the guy who talked him out of it when the only talk to start with was about PROFIT
                              oh by the way, DISC GOLF DEPOT is interested in donating baskets on a pay back system, that's something anyway
                              well enough said I guess I should work a little since I'm getting paid
                              se ya later tonight maybe golf is the next thing after this

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                                Why would there be increased maintenence? The maintenence is already being done.
                                Exactly. It is already being done and being paid for by a bolfer. I know I would be pissed if I were paying greens fees of $20 or more for one round when someone else could come in and pay $10 or less for a full day and take advantage of the manicured lawns that I helped pay for.

Why should a discer pay less than a baller when you are using the same exact land?

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X