Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those that say they are willing to pay $15.00 or more to play - how often?

Yeah, if the course sounds really great I'd probably go give it a try. But it wouldn't be very often. Why pay $15.00 for a round when I could go play Milo all day for free?

Comment

exactly

Comment

What I think we are seeing is the emergence of the putt-putt disc golfers. These are clearly golfers who would rather have a clown's mouth and a windmill rather than the granddaddy of all disc golf courses, Milo. Folks who - when faced with the option of going to Orchard or Milo - will opt for Orchard. We need these people, actually, or we would never have a place to practice our upshots from tee pads so there is some benefit derived from those golfers who see 400' and immediately think par 4.

Yes, Adam and Zippy... I am looking right at you.
        ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
        ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Sam, one of my favorite courses is Camp Tadmor. Remind me, which hole there is the one with the clown?
          Oregon disc golf map

Comment

As long as the only shot that needs to be accurate is the third, long open holes should do fine. No point in having a clown if it's so far out there you can't see him.

Damn, the sun is shining and I'm sittin' here on my putt.
            The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
            ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Never been to Camp Tadmor. Kind of why you have never seen me opine on it.

You do play a lot of Rockwood/Vance, though, right? Either course could have a clown-mouth on it.
              ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
              ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

that would be the first hole
                when you hit a tree and it rolls back under your car for the second time
                that's when you feel like a clown
                or maybe the fifth hole when you've thrown all your plastic in the lake and your out there in one of those boats retrieving them
                that's when you look like a clown
                or maybe hole 7 when you've thrown 3 times and still can't see the basket
                maybe then because your wondering if the hole is really up there somewhere

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKIN JOE View Post
                  or maybe the fifth hole when you've thrown all your plastic in the lake and your out there in one of those boats retrieving them
                  Fifth hole, lake? Which course are you talkin' about??

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                  Never been to Camp Tadmor. Kind of why you have never seen me opine on it.
                  It's similar to Horning's Canyon course, but harder. Like the woods at Hagg Lake, but with real fairways.

You do play a lot of Rockwood/Vance, though, right? Either course could have a clown-mouth on it.
                  I rarely play Rockwood. I love Vance, but only play there if I'm in Gresham for some other reason. Obviously, it's not a destination course.
                  Oregon disc golf map

Comment

What I think we are seeing is the emergence of the putt-putt disc golfers. These are clearly golfers who would rather have a clown's mouth and a windmill rather than the granddaddy of all disc golf courses, Milo. Folks who - when faced with the option of going to Orchard or Milo - will opt for Orchard. We need these people, actually, or we would never have a place to practice our upshots from tee pads so there is some benefit derived from those golfers who see 400' and immediately think par 4.

Yes, Adam and Zippy... I am looking right at you.

I understand that you guys who prefer pitch and putts courses have every right to enjoy the game as you see fit, however many of us want more challenging courses. I loathe birdie or die courses myself, so of course I prefer longer courses... you know... courses where I can actually use a driver. People need to understand that entry level players should NOT be making birdies left and right. Those birdies should be earned by good play, not by making holes easier.

Yes, I agree that Oakway could have been a better course, but it was still a fun course to play. There were even a few holes out there that were not any better just because they were long. I am not arguing for long courses for the sake of being long, but I love courses where you have to plot the landing zone for your first drive to ensure you have hope for that all-important up shot. I don't think any of my hole-in-one's come anywhere close to the satisfaction I felt when I finally pulled off a 4 on Milo's super long hole in the long position. Three well executed drives left me with a 15 foot putt. That is the kind of golf I love. The bummer is, I can't enjoy short courses very much, but those of you who like the short courses can STILL have fun on the big courses.

PS: I'd be happy to pay $10-$15 (a day) to play on a well maintained course where I don't have to worry about whether the stumbledrunk 10-some playing in front of me is going to let me play through.
                    "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
                      PS: I'd be happy to pay $10-$15 (a day) to play on a well maintained course where I don't have to worry about whether the stumbledrunk 10-some playing in front of me is going to let me play through.
                      How many times a week? And how many of you are there? Those are the questions a course has to ask before setting their prices.

Comment

Bullseye, I'm not saying long courses shouldn't exist... only that they are likely to appeal to a smaller (albeit hardcore) segment of the disc golf community. Especially if they cost real money to play.

The ideal situation, of course, is a longer course with pro and amateur tee pads: everybody wins. (It's really surprising how rare alternate teepads are, when you think about it.)
                        Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                          How many times a week? And how many of you are there? Those are the questions a course has to ask before setting their prices.
                          I'd pay to play a couple times a week in the winter and more in the summer. I have played on ball golf courses several times and I love it, so it's worth it to me. I know a lot of people who would play there as well.

We have plenty of small to medium courses in the area, but only a few grown up courses. I want more of those.
                          "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                            Bullseye, I'm not saying long courses shouldn't exist... only that they are likely to appeal to a smaller (albeit hardcore) segment of the disc golf community. Especially if they cost real money to play.

The ideal situation, of course, is a longer course with pro and amateur tee pads: everybody wins. (It's really surprising how rare alternate teepads are, when you think about it.)
                            I agree. The only thing I worry about with 2 sets of pads is the chance of two group teeing off on each other. This doesn't happen that frequently at Milo, where the AM pads are easily visible from the PRO pads, but at Stielly where they have criss-crossing baskets and pads all over the place. If designed properly that is a great solution.

Comment

Oakway was not "long and open". It had trees, water, elevation, sand, out-of-bounds, and numerous other challenging obstacles. It also had amenities like cold beverages, carts, a restaurant, and more, all of which were part of its value. I would gladly have continued to pay to play there, and I could have easily have brought a full carload every time. And Milo is NOT free.

Par 3 golf gets boring. You either occasionally park your drive, make an occasional long putt, get thousands of threes, and occasionally make a big mistake and take a bogey.

I prefer holes where no one is reaching the green, and instead you must carefully place your tee shot. Not necessarily throw it down a three-foot-wide slot, but place it correctly. That is difficult and challenging, sometimes even more so if there are not rows of trees down both sides.

I like upshots that are long enough that they are tough to execute. I like a long enough holes that you can make a mistake and still recover. It is also nice to be rewarded for a long, accurate throw once in a while. I like courses where a roller, thumber, or other less-conventional shot might be a better choice in certain places than the usual flat shot.

And I just don't see how talking someone OUT of installing disc golf benefits the sport. Maybe you could have helped find ways to SUCCEED with disc golf, instead of simply dissuading him from it? Maybe he could have installed it without spending thousands? Tone poles? Natural tees? Fund raisers? There, I just had 3 ideas in about 2 seconds...
                              Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                              Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                              Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                              Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                              Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                                Come to think of it... I can only think of one course in the area with pro and am tees.

It's the best course in the state, Adam. You know which one I am talking about... right?
                                ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X