Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, can what it was about Oakway that was so good be put into disc golf terms? Just curious.
    The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
    ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

I'm intrigued. Once in a while, Eric and I will play a round of ball golf at Sah-hah-Lee and then head out to Timber. Makes for a fun day. It's a beautiful course and I think disc golf would be a nice addition if they do it well. I'd sure check it out.

We love Skyline - just wish it weren't such a long drive. Having something like it 15 minutes from our house would be pretty damn sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
        However, I do think it should be pointed out that the relatively small number of players who can really appreciate a pay-for-play massively long disc golf course just might not be enough to sustain the idea economically -- if it interferes with the ball-golf business, that is.
        Where are you getting your numbers? For one, Oakway was not "massively long". For two, how do you know there are not hordes of disc golfers dying to pay to play on longer, more manicured courses? And when done properly, disc golf need not reduce a ball golf course's business, it can INCREASE their business.
        Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
        Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
        Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
        Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
        Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
          Honestly, I don't really enjoy McIver...
          OK, now I think you have truly lost everyone. It's going to be a tough case for you after a qualification like that....

Comment

I enjoyed oakway
            but would not have payed ball golf prices to play there though
            great tournament layout
            if i'm going to pay the price then i will play ball golf
            too bad you couldn't both at the same time for the price of one
            the owner of the golf course right out of town had ideas untill he talked to me
            i told him that i thought very few people would pay 15.00 to 20.00 bones to play when we have so many great free courses

Comment

Originally posted by TreeLove View Post
              Where are you getting your numbers? For one, Oakway was not "massively long". For two, how do you know there are not hordes of disc golfers dying to pay to play on longer, more manicured courses? And when done properly, disc golf need not reduce a ball golf course's business, it can INCREASE their business.
              Right, which is why I said it could be a problem only if the numbers aren't there AND it interferes with the ball-golf. If having a handful of disc golfers out there alienates the "regulars," they've got a problem. I'm not saying that's how it's going to be, just that they've got to consider it and do it right.

I don't know that there aren't hordes of disc golfers waiting to pay to get in a golf cart and zip around on unnatural, overfertilized fairways. But I do wonder, because a big part of disc golf's allure is the cheapness factor, especially here in The Great Recession. If a carload of people headed down OR-212 can play 18 at Sah-Hah-Lee for $40, or drive 20 minutes further and play 45 at Timber AND McIver for $3, it might be a tough sell.

OK, now I think you have truly lost everyone. It's going to be a tough case for you after a qualification like that....
              Not everyone is a pro. For an awful lot of newer players, courses like McIver and Bryant are long and frustrating, and those players would have more fun at Vance or Timber. No, I'm not a newbie myself, but someone's got to point out that the newbies do exist, and probably in bigger numbers than the die-hards in this forum who play in tournaments every weekend and actually go on-line to talk about disc golf. I mean, come on, this borders on fanaticism, what we do here. We're 1-percenters.

Again, I'm just expressing my opinion, and you're basically telling me that it's wrong. That's way more messed up than me thinking Timber is more fun than McIver (and note I said "more fun," not "better").
              Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Way to go Terry, I 'm glad you talked him OUT of installing a disc golf course. Thanks for that.

Comment

I had better just stop reading this thread; I am going to pop a blood vessel.

Adam, I am just saying I disagree with your opinion, and trying to cite examples of WHY....

Terry, I am simply speechless. Please do not talk to any more ball golf course owners!

Comment

I had better just stop reading this thread; I am going to pop a blood vessel.

Adam, I am just saying I disagree with your opinion, and trying to cite examples of WHY....

Terry, I am simply speechless. Please do not talk to any more ball golf course owners!
                    Oakway was the shizz, sorry you never played it Adam....

The recession is no reason to not play a LONG pair of 18's with carts, beers, and buddies, regardless the cost. We've done it before, we'll do it again. Without Adam and his buddies it seems.
                    Proud member #20 of STUMPTOWN Disc Golf and the PDGA #30488
                    Damn The Weak Side!!!!!!

Comment

Hey I pay to play:
                      $10 for my St. Park pass - 12 months (buy in bulk my friends)
                      $60 to Bob for 12 months at Hornings
                      $70 not bad, but I wouldn't pay 10 or better for one day, and it wouldn't matter how great the course was, or perceived to be.
                      educate your thinking

Comment

Way to go Terry, I 'm glad you talked him OUT of installing a disc golf course. Thanks for that.
                        Should he have lied to them?
                        Oregon disc golf map

Comment

I wonder why my question wasn't answered. Hello, do my posts appear here?
                          The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                          ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Wow... this is getting heated...

Gawain, the reputation that Oakway seemed to get was that it was a long, open course. Like Adam, that holds little to no interest to me as a disc golfer. Therefore, in no way was I going to travel down there to pay money to play on a course that did not (on its reputation) appeal to me. Please spare the "but you never actually played it" argument, I am admitting to that. Maybe Oakway was a heavily wooded, not really manicured course with tight fairways, average 275 - 400 ft. holes,and through lots of trees, but that wasn't the impression I was getting from people who played it.

I have also gone on record to say that I don't think Milo deserves all the hype it gets - and I have thrown there (a couple holes with you one day, actually). Lengthy holes just aren't something I look for in a course. Part of the draw of this sport to me is tromping through nature. A ball golf course turned disc golf course doesn't usually fit into the type of course I would most like to throw at. Skyline is an exception to this rule, due to its views of the river from the course, and the great use of elevation changes in the course design.

I don't think Terry did anyone a disservice by being honest regarding pay-to-play. $15 to $20 to play a course is much more money than most disc golfers would be willing to cough up. There are times I've passed on playing Skyline, and they only charge $8 for 18 holes! I think lying to them would have been much worse.

And Bob, I am also curious as to what the big draw of disc golf at Oakway was, too. The only information I ever got about it when it was up and running was that you got to play on a nicely manicured ball golf course (with wide-open fairways, and lengthy holes). Meh.

Good Lord people, go out and throw something!
                            TROJAN NATION: zippyboy, bishop, wiseguy, jasonrocksout, Dan N., Ol' Bob, The Mentor, chris7graham, radsnowsurfer, ChUcK, J-Man, Keys, Over The Hill Bob, Tennesee, Haley, Jeep4x420, Scott Hill, JubJub, Jim Anderson, JLewis, Z-Man, Greg the Clown, Marcus B., Treelove, Trozzle, Brillo, D-Walk, my beloved (Amy), Tim, Leland (my dad), Bro, Peter, Michael, and Rolly. Anybody else?

Comment

so should I have lied to my friend and told him go ahead spent 10 grand
                              you'll get it back no time
                              hell so many people come play in Mac already don't they
                              using the money to update a few of the greens I thought would make a much better business decision
                              but hey If you got an extra ten grand we can go talk to him again
                              i'm sure if someone else foots the bill he would be more than glad too
                              also he wasn't planning on disc golf being offered in prime time on the weekend either
                              didn't think to many ball golfers want to rent a cart either, so make it 25.00 bones on the weekend to boot,
                              so if you think a Monday through Thursday monrning and Friday , because the course is full Thursday afternoon for league, course will pay for it's self then buck up let's get it done
                              and oh by the way, that is per nine holes of golf as well, not 18
                              so come spent 50.00 bones on the weekend to play 18 holes of golf
                              or 30.00 on a regular day,
                              no I didn't think that would fly to well with the disc golf public
                              people always seem to know something about nothing

Comment

oh by the way that was his plan too.
                                my plan for him was to make it 18,27, or 36 holes
                                make it to were the ball golfers have right of way on the course
                                charge 10.00 bucks for a day pass and you might just make a profit on it

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X