X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Course in Poulsbo?

An article in the North Kitsap Herald a few weeks ago told of a course out there - but could not find out any more about it. I drove by the area, but I could not find any signs of it - is it there? Is it a secret? It'd be very cool to have another course out there.

Link to article: http://www.pnwlocalnews.com/kitsap/n.../53236117.html

Originally posted by 4notfour View Post
    An article in the North Kitsap Herald a few weeks ago told of a course out there - but could not find out any more about it. I drove by the area, but I could not find any signs of it - is it there? Is it a secret? It'd be very cool to have another course out there.

Link to article: http://www.pnwlocalnews.com/kitsap/n.../53236117.html
    Hmmm, Google maps shows lots of great forested land in that area, but nothing marked as Fredericksen Wilderness Park.

Comment

It's owned by a church. http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=55942011914

E-mail inquiry sent.
      Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Is that a private course?
        Can the general public play it when it is finished?

Comment

Originally posted by Vector_2008 View Post
          Is that a private course?
          Can the general public play it when it is finished?
          Dunno, that's why I sent an e-mail.
          Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Response:
            Hi Adam,
            Thanks for the inquiry.
            We now have 18 holes in and signed for people to come and use. The course
            is open to the public and called, Fredericksen Disc Golf course.

A little history... The course is on property that was given to our church
            with the stipulation that it not be developed or sold. Several of us on
            staff have become avid discers and looked into the possibility of putting in
            a course. One of our staff members contacted the West Sound Disc Golf
            Association and they designed the course and individual members of the WSDGA
            helped with labor. Our congregation members have taken a strong interest in
            working up there and so from April to July we have been clearing and walking
            and marking and now all 18 are playable. Most holes have a discernable tee
            area, but it's all dirt for now as we see how the course will play. It is a
            short course, the longest hole is only 210 feet, but all the holes are in
            the woods so there are many tree and brush obstacles. We are enjoying it
            immensely and there are groups of regulars that hit the course every day
            after work.

Directions to the course:
            Take Bond Road north out of Poulsbo toward Kingston (about 1/2 a mile)
            Turn left on Big Valley Road
            Go 4/10ths of a mile and turn right in the driveway of the big yellow house
            Stay to the left and follow the road into the parking lot
            You'll see the sign: Fredericksen Wilderness Park at the entrance
            Follow the red signs with white letters down the hill, across the salmon
            stream and up the trail to the first tee (about 1/4 of a mile back in)

We also have a group on Facebook called: Disc Golf at Poulsbo First Lutheran
            Fredericksen Wilderness Park. Check it out.

Again thanks for the inquiry.
            Peace,
            Pastor Kent Shane
            Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Good work Adam.

What's up with the WSDGA keeping this a secret?

Comment

Thanks Adam for getting to the bottom of this - The Facebook page didn't come up on a search I did a few weeks ago looking for info - Google grabs it now . It is funny that the WSDGA was involved without anything posted anywhere, considering that there was work that needed to be done - I would have tried to get out there since work was a little slow this summer.

Now that word's out - I hope people respect the course - especially since it's on private land. That probably doesn't need to be said on this board, but we might need to be pro-active here since it's GREAT to have the opportunity to play there.

Comment

Adam, can you please make a sub-forum in the courses section for this course?

Comment

Mark as played!

Got a chance to get out there this afternoon and it's great - still rough, but so much work has been done already. I wrote an entry in the course's minty-fresh subforum and added directions taken from Adams entry above....Yes, it's really there!

Comment

Oh man my list of WA courses yet to play has grown so much lately! I went from having about ten courses to almost twenty courses left to finish every course in the state, man new places to play are popping up very fast. I am going to get to this during the Daliawood Ace Race.
                      Last edited by sillybizz; September 4th, 2009, 10:16 PM. Reason: spelling errors
                      Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Yeah, northwest WA has been on the move lately, DG-wise. VanderYacht, Fort Nugent, and Fredericksen are all new this year.

The only new one I can think of west of the Cascades and south of the Columbia this year is Keizer Rapids.
                        Oregon disc golf map

Comment

SillyBizz and I played it on Saturday after the ace race. Its a pretty cool 18, secluded and very pretty I thought - most holes are pretty short but play longer than the distance would suggest. Definitely a lot of ace runs (got hole 6 with a sidearm champ birdie ) out there but some longer, more challenging holes as well.

The course itself is easy to follow because of all the signs but the first hole is a pretty long walk up the gravel road from the parking lot.
                          'Weekend 4 Women':
                          Saturday, June 30th - Sudoku Showdown II - FREE PDGA XC Tier
                          Sunday, July 1st - Seattle SuperClassic - FREE PDGA XC Tier

Comment

Sorry about not posting about the Fredrickson course, but the WSDGA has been busy with the other courses in the West Sound area. Most of the work has been done by the Church group with a little guidance from us (course design and few work parties). The course is new and rough, but starting to get some regular play.

Comment

Another article on the course

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2009/o...new-disc-golf/

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X