X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gwillim View Post
    Played the course today. I think that the course should be a par 59. Hole 7 is a par four in my opinion. I shot a 61. I think the course record will get set at about 56 and stay there for a while.
    So I can expect to shoot a steller 100+?

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by "Over the Hill" Bob View Post
      So I can expect to shoot a steller 100+?

Bob
      Lol, I'm thinking you'll shoot in the mid to high 80s.

Comment

6801 feet with Adam's measurements, that of course does not include walkouts and searches.
        educate your thinking

Comment

I shot 67 this morning. Would have been 65 except that I tossed one over the road on #18. FYI, that is one O.B. you do NOT want to end up in... it's a near-vertical cliff.

One birdie on #15, and I very nearly got one on #4.

And Gwillim's right,#7 should be a par 4. If you make a good clean shot to the first landing zone, you're still looking at a longish dogleg right with a steep hill behind the basket. The other pro pars (4 on #10 and #14, 5 on #16) make sense.

By the way, note that the "yardage" on #15's tee sign is way off. The sign says 290', but if you take that on faith, you'll find yourself way past the basket. Scout it out first (it's completely blind from the tee). My map says 247', and I think that's closer to the truth.
          Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Shot a 59 today. I think someone will shoot 55 in the next few days. I'm pretty impressed with the new basket design, catches better than the Mach II New baskets at Pier. Also, the concrete tees are very roomy, even for Hagerty!!

Comment

Thanks to all that came...

I just got back from 3 days out there, 2 playing and one finish the basket and putting them out. Thanks from the Crew for coming out and breaking in the new course. It was very fun watching all the groups play the course we had put in the day before. This is by far the hardest and most fun course that beats me up.

I birdied 14 today with a 60 foot putt it was so nice and made the weekend all that much better.

Mark it was fun meeting you and playing with you.

Hippy007
              Andy

Comment

For some reason new course openings at Hornings seems to time it right with me being hurt and not getting to enjoy them. When the Canyon opened, I had a cut tendon, had to play it lefty. I got lucky wit the Highlands. Now that the Gold course is "open", I dont know when I will get to play it. Got a jacked up rt foot now, can barely walk. The doc's dont know whats wrong, took blood samples to test them. Possibly Gout, possibly an infected Bunion? they dont know, lol

Cant wait to play this course. I heard my name is set in concrete there? havent seen a pic yet.
                All I want for Christmas is Sharpies and Rit Dye!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Trozzle!!! View Post
                  For some reason new course openings at Hornings seems to time it right with me being hurt and not getting to enjoy them. When the Canyon opened, I had a cut tendon, had to play it lefty. I got lucky wit the Highlands. Now that the Gold course is "open", I dont know when I will get to play it. Got a jacked up rt foot now, can barely walk. The doc's dont know whats wrong, took blood samples to test them. Possibly Gout, possibly an infected Bunion? they dont know, lol

Cant wait to play this course. I heard my name is set in concrete there? havent seen a pic yet.
                  Yep, on hole 8 I inscribed the names of the folks who came out and helped, though I did miss one person, he came out on Wednesday to help pour and I couldn't for the life of me remember his name, though I think it was John, so sorry. Figured it was a good spot for it, a place to take a break for a bit, catch your breath and enjoy the view. Glad everyone likes it, it was a long time coming.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Horning View Post
                    Yep, on hole 8 I inscribed the names of the folks who came out and helped, though I did miss one person, he came out on Wednesday to help pour and I couldn't for the life of me remember his name, though I think it was John, so sorry. Figured it was a good spot for it, a place to take a break for a bit, catch your breath and enjoy the view. Glad everyone likes it, it was a long time coming.
                    Sweet Bob!!!!! Thanks. cant wait to be able to play again and come see it
                    All I want for Christmas is Sharpies and Rit Dye!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                      I shot 67 this morning. Would have been 65 except that I tossed one over the road on #18. FYI, that is one O.B. you do NOT want to end up in... it's a near-vertical cliff.

One birdie on #15, and I very nearly got one on #4.

And Gwillim's right,#7 should be a par 4. If you make a good clean shot to the first landing zone, you're still looking at a longish dogleg right with a steep hill behind the basket. The other pro pars (4 on #10 and #14, 5 on #16) make sense.
                      the trouble is that PDGA Gold Tee par guidlines call for a par 4 being at least 475 ft in a heavily wooded area, and at least 600 ft in a lightly wooded area. In a Blue tee rating system the distance calls for at least 400 ft in a heavily wooded area. The leagth of the hole is about 440 ft, so calling it a Gold tee par might be a streach, vs when I post the signs it will also have a par 4 Blue tee rating on the sign. In this case I would need some more expert opinion that it is a par 4 in gold tee before I list it that way on the sign (no disrepect for Greg of course, just that I want it to be very official so there are no issues in the future for any tournaments). I do have the option of taking out a tree or two to make it more fesable and fall under the guidelines, either way, though I'm not sure if folks like that idea or not. Any comments?

Comment

• Bob, I didn't get a chance to track you down out there, but some of those baskets near tee pads are dangerous. We had at least 3 drives land on teepads in our one round out there today, that were near baskets.

But I hope you folks enjoy this course, I personally didn't but there is potential out there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce View Post
                          Bob, I didn't get a chance to track you down out there, but some of those baskets near tee pads are dangerous. We had at least 3 drives land on teepads in our one round out there today, that were near baskets.
                          I did notice that the #2 basket was a bit close to the #3 pad.
                          Oregon disc golf map

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Horning View Post
                            the trouble is that PDGA Gold Tee par guidlines call for a par 4 being at least 475 ft in a heavily wooded area, and at least 600 ft in a lightly wooded area. In a Blue tee rating system the distance calls for at least 400 ft in a heavily wooded area. The leagth of the hole is about 440 ft, so calling it a Gold tee par might be a streach, vs when I post the signs it will also have a par 4 Blue tee rating on the sign. In this case I would need some more expert opinion that it is a par 4 in gold tee before I list it that way on the sign (no disrepect for Greg of course, just that I want it to be very official so there are no issues in the future for any tournaments). I do have the option of taking out a tree or two to make it more fesable and fall under the guidelines, either way, though I'm not sure if folks like that idea or not. Any comments?
                            Bob,
                            I totally understand what you're saying, and I appreciate the research you did. I think the keyword from the PDGA is "guideline". Their guideline is not a mandate, just a suggestion. I would like to think that my opinion on the matter should be "expert", regardless, if you took a poll of all the professional golfers that play that hole, I would venture a guess that 80% of them would consider the hole a par four. I feel the same opinion would be held with most modern course designers.

I think it's one of the best holes on the course, and I would hate to see any trees come down, with the exception of perhaps the tree in the middle of the fairway right at the bend. Even without that tree, however, I would still consider the hole a par 4.

Sincerely,
                            Ryan Gwillim

Comment

• Originally posted by Twitch View Post
                              Thanks to the Horning's group for the round today. I was 34 over which minus two holes that I got 10's, I will take being an intermediate player.
                              34's rule. I got the same score. Lost one disc. Fun course!
                              "Operator! Give me the number for 911! " - Homer S.

Comment

• "Operator! Give me the number for 911! " - Homer S.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X