X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hamlin park, Shoreline, WA

I have been told by two different sources now that there is someone working with the city of Shoreline to put in a course at Hamlin park on 15th. There is already the Fircrest course next door and I was wondering if anyone knows what the deal is. I was first told of this a couple years ago and now I am hearing about it again now.
    Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Originally posted by sillybizz View Post
    I have been told by two different sources now that there is someone working with the city of Shoreline to put in a course at Hamlin park on 15th. There is already the Fircrest course next door and I was wondering if anyone knows what the deal is. I was first told of this a couple years ago and now I am hearing about it again now.
    I know that Lowell, Gordy, Brewster, and perhaps someone else had met with a city official a few years ago to discuss a potential course and walk through the grounds--
    not sure what the final word was, but I do know that there was some initial reluctance by the city and that nothing ever materialized--
    several of us were going out there fairly often, and either taking a portable basket or just playing a tree course... I guess there's an actual tree course that's been there quite a while, but we didn't know how it played--

There are alot of dog walkers that pass through Hamlin Park, and apparently most of them don't scoop da poop... beware of land mines-- once it was said and done, most agreed that Hamlin wasn't the ideal location for a new course anyway..... but we DO need some more courses in/around Seattle!

What about a course in Everett? I guess that Lowell and some other fellas had proposed plans for a new course there years ago-- and that everything was set and ready for approval, but there was some sort of setback-- can't recall off-hand.... anyway, I live near the Mukilteo Speedway now, and would be all for rallying the troops to get a new course in Everett...

Toby Cheff
    Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

Comment

The last word I heard about hamblin was The city wanted to address the undergrowth issue and replace it with native ground cover. Whenyou hear ground cover It's code for no course.

I also posted about Everett a couple of weeks ago on the See a site thread here.
      rewindb.com

Comment

This is one of the few times I wish ODSA was still online, as there was a thread with all the details on Hamlin in there somewhere. I'll try to dredge up what I can from my memory....

There was a large amount of funds being funneled to Hamlin for a revitalization, and disc golfers were hoping to get in on that. Of course, so were a bunch of others (I think once again there was a strong off leash dog park lobby). A good sized group of us showed up for a city meeting, and proposed a disc golf course to be installed there. The folks at the meeting seemed pretty receptive to the idea, the main concerns that were voiced were the environmental impact, and the fact that there's a good amount of traffic through there, including a cross-country running trail. I believe one of the main parks guys was also involved with getting White River up and running, so had a good idea about disc golf and was generally supportive of it. Some time after the meeting though, there was an environmental survey, and they determined that there was already too little understory around the park, and that disc golf would only exacerbate the problem. I think that was conveyed to just Lowell and Gordy though, so I may not have 100% of the facts.

I do remember from the meeting though, that there was a second park in mind too, if Hamlin didn't work out. Can't remember the name off the top of my head, but it wasn't as sweet a spot as Hamlin, but most definitely better than nothing. I don't know what happened with that at all.

Also, as far as Everett goes, Randy Cox has been in contact with the city, and they're apparently receptive to the idea of disc golf too. No location has been settled on though, as far as I know, and he's said that anything will likely take several years to get started. (Again, this is stuff I'm dredging up from memory.)

But yeah, most definitely we need some more courses around! Stopped by NP last night and it looked to be standing room only, so I just kept going.
        Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
          This is one of the few times I wish ODSA was still online, as there was a thread with all the details on Hamlin in there somewhere. I'll try to dredge up what I can from my memory....
          I tried looking for it too. All the pages were blank.

But yeah, most definitely we need some more courses around! Stopped by NP last night and it looked to be standing room only, so I just kept going.
          I think people live there now.

Comment

It is a shame everett can't move faster.
            "What's in the bag", pdga #37977, dgcr #356, **Team Chainbanger'z**

You are never really playing an opponent. You are playing yourself, your own highest standards, and when you reach your limits, that is real joy.
            -- Arthur Ashe

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
            Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X