X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• forest park?

me and my friends have always wondered why their isn't any disc golf courses in forest park in the west hills of portland? it seems like they could put in at least 1 if not several courses. i mean the park is HUGE. lemme know your guys thoughts. maybe their is something i don't know.

Dude, you're speaking my language. I sound like a broken record.

There should be 72 at Forest Park. There should be 72 at Forest Park. There should be 72 at Forest Park.

I have, however, taken no initiative to get anything done. I have a feeling there would be a few large barriers. I'd guess the biggest would be getting approval to cut fairways through spaces that are hailed as "natural."

Anyone know a good first step for testing the waters? Call/email someone at the parks dept? <caugh> Adam? <caugh>

Comment

I'm only taking on one quixotic task at a time...
      Oregon disc golf map

Comment

only 72, think bigger hahah

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
          I'm only taking on one quixotic task at a time...
          Really? You seem to have your hands in about 17 different projects (rough estimation) right now. Which one are you deeming quixotic?

I slay windmills.
          TROJAN NATION: zippyboy, bishop, wiseguy, jasonrocksout, Dan N., Ol' Bob, The Mentor, chris7graham, radsnowsurfer, ChUcK, J-Man, Keys, Over The Hill Bob, Tennesee, Haley, Jeep4x420, Scott Hill, JubJub, Jim Anderson, JLewis, Z-Man, Greg the Clown, Marcus B., Treelove, Trozzle, Brillo, D-Walk, my beloved (Amy), Tim, Leland (my dad), Bro, Peter, Michael, and Rolly. Anybody else?

Comment

To get a course in Forest Park you'll need to take on the Forest Park Conservancy who, based on their mission (conservation and habitat restoration among other things) would put up quite a fight.

Comment

Originally posted by zippyboy View Post
              Really? You seem to have your hands in about 17 different projects (rough estimation) right now. Which one are you deeming quixotic?
              I was referring to the Harmony campus in Milwaukie, the only one where I'm the head cheerleader. It's not necessarily quixotic -- yet -- but sometimes it feels like it.

Originally posted by Scott View Post
              To get a course in Forest Park you'll need to take on the Forest Park Conservancy who, based on their mission (conservation and habitat restoration among other things) would put up quite a fight.
              Yup. As far as I know, they don't allow ANYTHING other than trails in Forest Park. Didn't they get pretty mad a couple years ago when someone put up some kind of guerrila art installation?

If you're looking for wooded hillsides inside the PDX city limits, I think you might have better luck with Kelly Butte. I know Jerry Miller's had his eye on it for a while, but I don't remember why it hasn't gone anywhere. (Maybe it's just too steep.)

Also, Powell Butte would be PERFECT for disc golf, but I think there's a powerful "Friends" group there too.
              Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                Also, Powell Butte would be PERFECT for disc golf, but I think there's a powerful "Friends" group there too.
                Adam, I just want to make sure I'm hearing you right. It sounds like you're saying that the group fighting against disc golf wherever we go is the Quakers.

Comment

Originally posted by dan View Post
                  Adam, I just want to make sure I'm hearing you right. It sounds like you're saying that the group fighting against disc golf wherever we go is the Quakers.
                  That's right... the Friends of Pier Park, Friends of Powell Butte, Friends of Robin Hill, Friends of Bidwell Park, etc., are all part of a vast pacifist egalitarian conspiracy.
                  Oregon disc golf map

Comment

I had the same thoughts about Powell Butte.
                    But that site is already firmly established as a natural area and has a strong group of supporters that will defend it to the death.

Think of this scenario: A group of naturalists would like to set aside several acres in Milo McIver for a bird sanctuary. Naturally, the baskets will have to come out. Would there be an uproar in the dg community? You betcha!

Comment

I understand the challenges related to Forest Park and working with/against the Conservancy, but how about Washington Park? Seemingly there is plenty of land in and around the Zoo, Rose Garden, et. al. I'd love to have a course I could walk to, or at least take public trans vs. having to drive to Lunchtime, Pier, or farther out.

-chris

Comment

There are a few things that make a disc golf course good and/or great. Amenities are at the top of the list.

#1 Is there ANY parking. Not just a wide spot on the side of the road that goes past the course. See Hagg Lake. This can be mediated somewhat if the park is close to public transit, but I can't find many local courses that meet that criteria.

#2 Bathrooms. Sure I can pee standing up but ask a female golfer how much they like ruffing it. If you don't have bathrooms then you'd better not complain about players urinating in the bushes. See Pier Park.

#3 Other amenities. Like camping areas, shelters for group activities or fire pits etc. You may only play dg in the nice weather but some of us like to play every weekend year round.

List of amenities at Forrest Park = ZERO.
                        Why is Milo the amazing place that it is? Amenities.
                        Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
                        Remain ye men of faculty complete,
                        Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
                        Attending to our noble bond and contract?
                        Or does here stand the last remaining man
                        To give a fig for rules and order yet,
                        No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
                        Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
                        Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Fingers View Post
                          There are a few things that make a disc golf course good and/or great. Amenities are at the top of the list.

#1 Is there ANY parking. Not just a wide spot on the side of the road that goes past the course. See Hagg Lake. This can be mediated somewhat if the park is close to public transit, but I can't find many local courses that meet that criteria.

#2 Bathrooms. Sure I can pee standing up but ask a female golfer how much they like ruffing it. If you don't have bathrooms then you'd better not complain about players urinating in the bushes. See Pier Park.

#3 Other amenities. Like camping areas, shelters for group activities or fire pits etc. You may only play dg in the nice weather but some of us like to play every weekend year round.

List of amenities at Forrest Park = ZERO.
                          Why is Milo the amazing place that it is? Amenities.
                          Forest Park may have zero of the aforementioned amenities, but I'll return to my Washington Park question....
                          #1: parking galore, starting at the Rose Garden and continuing to the Zoo and Vietnam Memorial.
                          #2: bathrooms at the old elephant building, Rose Garden, Holocaust Memorial, etc.
                          #3: There's an archery range, soccer fields, playgrounds, tennis courts, hiking trails, fire pits, etc. Why not a dg course?

Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I frequently hike in and around the Washington Park/Forest Park area as I live in NW, and often catch myself thinking how great a certain stretch of land would be for dg holes. I think a course close in on the west side would be awesome for the people who live downtown, or close enough to walk or hop the MAX up to the Zoo station.

Comment