Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florence Oregon to see its first course?

We have been working hard to get a disc scene going here. After years of attempts it looks as if we will have our own golf course. Check out ssdgc.wetpaint.com for more information.

I can't tell from that page whether the Munsel Greenway course is intended to have permanent baskets or not...
    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

That would be awesome! We go every to Florence every August and usually throw piles of old plastic off the biggest dune we can find. Very fun. I've always wanted to play a real course in the dunes, but wonder how you could do it. Shifting sands would quickly eat up teepads and baskets.

As Adam mentioned, the web page listed above provides more questions than answers.

Comment

This made me laugh...

"Once the club (or whatever) gets big enough..."

Seriously though, it would be great to have something started in Florence. I'm amazed that coastal Oregon only has two courses, and they're both in Coos Bay/North Bend. SOOOOO many state/city/county parks all up and down the coast and no DG. I head down to the Coos Bay/North Bend area about 5 times a year or more, it's be great to have a reason to go through Florence instead of taking 38 to Reedsport!

Kennedy, if you guys need any assistance, let us know!

Comment

Originally posted by M Kennedy View Post
          We have been working hard to get a disc scene going here. After years of attempts it looks as if we will have our own golf course. Check out ssdgc.wetpaint.com for more information.

This would be so awesome. Talk about putting in the wind.
          If you need anything at all, let me know and the Eugene Disc Golf club will help in any way that we can. Layout, talking to the Parks and Recreation, Labor, etc.

Good Luck and welcome to the forum.
          PDGA President

Comment

Yeah, we are a small but dedicated bunch. There is alot more interest here than would first appear. We are talking to the Parks Dept about partnering up and so on, I get the feelng that the timing might be right and we could get fast tracked. Munsel Greenway would be the only realistic possability. Yes, real baskets and everything! Makes me giddy.

Comment

I will pass all encouragement along from all of you. Put it in writing and let me show how much outside support there is. Thanks.

Comment

Rockaway Beach has a Disc golf course at Twin Rocks Friendship camp. I went there for a summer camp for 15 straight years. The year I stopped going *moved out of state*, they set up a DG 9 holer... grrrr... One of my friends swears he saw a private course along the creeks/rivers in the Lincoln City vicinity.

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
                  One of my friends swears he saw a private course along the creeks/rivers in the Lincoln City vicinity.
                  Yes, there's one at a private YWCA camp -- only accessible by boat! -- along the Salmon River Estuary below Cascade Head.
                  Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
                    Rockaway Beach has a Disc golf course at Twin Rocks Friendship camp.

I went there for camp about 30 years ago. Pretty sure there was no course there then.

Do you know if the course is ever open to the public?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                      Do you know if the [Twin Rocks Friends Camp] course is ever open to the public?
                      E-mail them and find out: http://www.twinrocks.org/rentals/recreation.asp
                      Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                        http://www.twinrocks.org/rentals/doc...f-Brochure.pdf

Wow - there are some killer walk-outs on that course!

Comment

We will have a modified basket bottom welded on, like a spade in the shape of an X. They will have to move often and change is encouraged with us. As for tee pads, we draw a line in the sand, low tech. People go barefoot all year long, as for me, I like wearing aqua socks.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                            http://www.twinrocks.org/rentals/doc...f-Brochure.pdf

Wow - there are some killer walk-outs on that course!
                            That course is new, and obviously not designed by someone knowledgeable with disc golf because they could have just put number one near the parking lot up front and bump every hole number down one to avoid the walkout from 1 to 2... But hey, if you want to claim disc golf is good exercise, you need a walk out or two here and there... If it were up to me, I would have done it way differently there since I went there 15 straight years and know the land like the back of my hand... The two big foot statues up the mountain provide a good hike and fun stories.

Comment

Cool. Play volleyball every year at Rockaway. Now I have an excuse to bring the bag with me.

Volleyball on the beach and disc golf -- Not sure it gets better than that.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X