X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fircrest Course

Just wanted to let everyone know that Fircrest, located in the city of Shoreline, has a new 1 year old course. Open to the public, so come and play.

Our location is 15230 15th Ave NE Shoreline, Wa 98155

The course starts on the south end of recreation and activities building (67) at 155th st. and 15th ave NE.

I currently have 5 permanent baskets set up, and I have one more basket in the woods to the north which I play at two ways. I am looking at expanding the course, either building my own baskets or using posts for the time being.

I have added a new homebrewed pink bucket basket, not really the best but it works. I am working on a new design now. I shoot from the sign to the basket, and from the old stair case with the hand rail to the basket. next week I will have another basket out.

all roads are OB, the old parking lot by the new pink basket is also OB.

Map
    Last edited by Robinhood; May 8th, 2009, 11:41 AM.

I'm headed out there right now, thoughts in a few
    'Weekend 4 Women':
    Saturday, June 30th - Sudoku Showdown II - FREE PDGA XC Tier
    Sunday, July 1st - Seattle SuperClassic - FREE PDGA XC Tier

Comment

I like the idea of making it 9 holes and utilizing more space as your map suggests...it looks like there would be a few more challenging shots and some elevation change, which are both welcome in my book... we bring a portable sometimes, and usually place it in the middle of the lowest field.

I have a few questions:
      Did the basket in the woods get stolen, or just removed? Some of my NP friends said that it was missing last time they played there....
      Have you played hula-hoop (w/netting) baskets before?-- the one's at the Glacier course near Mossy Roc were more fun than tone poles IMO...
      What do you think about the possibility of alternate tees?
      Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

Comment

I'm not familiar with the course or land, so I will make these general observations based on your maps.

The flow from hole to hole looks very nice.
        Looks to be a good use of the space and the obstacles available.

How busy is the road/path that intersects the fairways of holes four and five? That could lead to some issues.

Is there any way possible to avoid crossing fairways on 8 and 9? It may not be an issue when the park is empty, but you could run accross some big saftey issues if the course becomes popular.

All in all, well done. Thanks for your efforts!

Comment

Baskets #8,9 are still in the works, played with a few people yesterday who gave me some good suggestions. I am thinking I will have #8 start to the right of where I have Basket #7 and go to where I have basket #9 currently and then put #9 in the woods.

The Road you speak of is not to frequently used, I am hoping people are not going to try and throw over passing traffic.

The Basket in the woods was removed my the grounds crew for some reason and is going to be back out soon.

I am also thinking about takeing current #5 out (#6 new)
          Last edited by Robinhood; April 30th, 2009, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Robinhood View Post
            The Road you speak of is not to frequently used, I am hoping people are not going to try and throw over passing traffic.
            It only takes one bonehead to screw things up for everybody. IMO, you shoudl seriously rethink these holes if there is any
            chance of discs being thrown over/through/into traffic.

Comment

Nice, glad to see you on here Robin, and good to see that things are in the works here. Fircrest is my practice grounds, the only place I've found close to me where I can practice drives in a field without being in the middle of a baseball game/family picnic/somebody else's round of disc golf. You may have seen me out there, I'm the guy with a stack of discs in his hands, walking around in circles in the field, trying to figure out where that last drive went. While I'm all for expansion and improvement of the course, the selfish part of me hopes that it doesn't get TOO popular.

Anyway, as to the new hole ideas: I like that you're looking to incorporate the lower field there for new 4 and 5. 5 looks like it could be tough! (for those not familiar with the terrain, you can't tell in the map, but there's about a 30 ft elevation drop between the dot for the basket and the road there).

Scott, I see your point with the road, but this place is essentially a gated community, there's maybe an average of one car every 10-15 minutes there. I don't think that'd be too much of a concern. I wonder about #7 though. I'd have to stand there in person to see, but is there a chance of going over the fence onto 15th? I do like the looks of it as a hole though. When I actually play the holes instead of just throwing drives back and forth, I usually don't play the back 2 holes, just because it's a long walk over there and they're isolated. That #7 looks like a good way to tie things together.

And taking out current #5? I think that rock wall there is a nice piece of landscape to take advantage of, so I kind of like that hole. It is kind of a pain though when someone's parked in those spaces right there. I'll either skip the hole or play it safe. Would it be possible to maybe come at the basket from another direction?
              Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Tim let me know when you are going to come by next and i will shoot a around with you, maybe you can give me some suggestions about the back few. I am waiting to hear if I can remove any of the brush in the north woods and make an epic hole there.

I am currently working on building a homemade basket out of an old pink bucket, some tube and chain. If anyone has the desire to help out I will be working on it today, and next week. Just pm or email me.

Comment

I'm actually planning on heading out there today, probably will get there around 4:30 or so. Looks like Chuck might be joining me too. I'll be wearing a gray shirt and have a red revolution bag.
                  Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                    I'm actually planning on heading out there today, probably will get there around 4:30 or so. Looks like Chuck might be joining me too. I'll be wearing a gray shirt and have a red revolution bag.

right on I will see you out there

Robin

Comment

I thought this course was to remain some what secret. When North Park is packed many locals go to Fir Crest to get away from the madness.

Comment

Unless it is on private property, I don't think that anyone has a right to keep a course secret. Seems silly to even consider such a thing.
                        ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                        ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

just put in a new homemade basket, working on improving it, and making one or two more. if anyone has any advice on building baskets it would be appreciated. I am thinking about building a basket like this one on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qdts2FvC-Is

Comment

Robin,

The basket that you constructed out there is great! Narrow but heavy chains - catches what hits the center of the target. GREAT JOB, I'm definitely interested how you did it.

AR
                            'Weekend 4 Women':

Comment

We also walked through a layout - it looks a lot more crammed than it actually is because I'm sure the distances aren't quite right.

'Weekend 4 Women':

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X