Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wants to build disc golf course on Whibey Island...

I have been playing disc golf since the early eightys and would love to build a disc golf course on beautiful Whidbey Island. I have many places in mind. I would love any help with ideas on how to get it going and what I would have to do. I am also looking for any one interested in starting a club on Whidbey, getting together and play.

Originally posted by timberwolfe View Post
    I have been playing disc golf since the early eightys and would love to build a disc golf course on beautiful Whidbey Island. I have many places in mind. I would love any help with ideas on how to get it going and what I would have to do. I am also looking for any one interested in starting a club on Whidbey, getting together and play.
    State parks can be a good place to start. Ft. Ebey comes to mind. Try to book a meeting with the superintendant. I'm sure someone has an outline posted somewhere on the net with bullet points to discuss. You'll want to get familiar with all the facts. Hopefully others who've gotten courses installed will chime in.
    Panda...it's what's for dinner!

Team Deucebag

Comment

I do a Google News search every day for articles about disc golf; often you'll find stories about park systems that really WANT a course for whatever reason, or about how a disc golf course helped bring some daylight to a previously blighted area.

Here's my search link: http://news.google.com/news?q=%22dis...f%22&scoring=n
      Oregon disc golf map

Comment

By the way, I don't suppose there's any chance the N.A.S. would let a course go in on their property, would they? Lord knows they've got enough land, in two big chunks, and there's at least one precedent for a public DG course at a naval base (NAS Whiting Field in Pensacola).
        Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Getty View Post
          State parks can be a good place to start. Ft. Ebey comes to mind. Try to book a meeting with the superintendant. I'm sure someone has an outline posted somewhere on the net with bullet points to discuss. You'll want to get familiar with all the facts. Hopefully others who've gotten courses installed will chime in.
          The state is looking to cut costs and possibly raise revenue for parks by adding a new fee.
          They asked people if they would prefer a $5 license renewal fee with an "opt out" box on the form, or a $5 parking fee at the parks.
          People preferred the second option.

You could coax 5 dollars out of me to play some disc golf there. It could be a nice balance of holes around the fields and in the woods, as long as there is no shots that could go over the bluffs, thats a long nasty climb.
          The Kettles is also there, and it could house a course as well.
          If you convinced the state that this could help bring in revenue, I think they would go for it.

I'm still most interested in the new, proposed City of Everett course, and the Redmond parks relocation plan for the Juel course. I imagine everything is on hold for the near future though.
          I think we need a Disc Golf stimulus package.

Comment

I would love to see a disc golf course at Fort Flagler State Park if possible.. How can I go about getting some information about whom to approach, etc?

At about noonish, I went over to the park to ask about their baskets (I had heard rumors about it). The park manager had told me that he was approached about it several years ago about putting in a course, but they had tossed the idea. They do have "portable" baskets only for the group camping which you have to check out, not for the general public. So -- I guess there wasn't much into that rumor I had heard.

Keep up on it on trying to establish a disc golf course on Whidbey Island!
            Last edited by Mystjava; April 14th, 2009, 11:33 AM. Reason: Updated info...
            Practice - Practice - Practice -- Doing what I can to keep it on the fairway _ at least I try to!
            DDGA #202; WDDGA #37; ODDGA #47 ; PDGA #38171

Comment

How about South Whidbey State Park. I think there is available property on the east side of Smugglers Cove Road, but the map don't show it.

The Kettles area of Fort Ebey State Park would be good all so. I think that is state and county land.

NAS Whidbey would be good also. The area between the old trap range and the hospital. Basically from the south end of Sarotoga Street all the way to the water. Excluding the archery range of course. Of course half of that is on the base. Many trees would have to to be planted. That's a good thing. MWR is always looking for new recreation activities.

Comment

Don't forget that there are monthly council meetings where residence's can talk about what they would like to see. Typically one has to submitt a few weeks prior to the meeting to get on the Agenda. I got the commision for NSRA in Sedro-Woolley which was through Skagit County Parks and Rec. I sent out a letter, much like a cover letter for a job interview, to the local goverments around me and they responed. Mount Vernon or Burlington were not interested but now that the seed has been planted I'm hoping for more.

When you do talk to someone be sure to bring up examples of underutilized and trashy parks and how a disc golf course can inprove it. For example I'm sure Twin Rivers in Arlington had a fair amount of vagrats before the course was installed. I know park activity from Non-golfers is up in Sedro-Woolley because they feel safe with golfers out. I know Cornwall park in Bellingham was filled with drug using bums but the course has pushed them out.

Hey hard economic times it tough for familes to do family activities on a budget, however disc golf provides the perfect oppurtunity for low-budget family fun. Be persistant, stay open minded, and good luck!
                WORK LESS THROW MORE
                http://www.grippt.com

Comment

Parks in mind

I live in the Coupeville(Ebeys Land Trust)area. I frequent Rhododendron Park daily, its owned by DNR, and managed by the county. I also believe Kettles(Ebey) area would be great. I am also very interested in Hoypus Point, and around Cornet Bay in Deception Pass. I met some guys recently from Anacortes who have put a proposal to the city and they have got the ball rollin. I am trying to find the right people to call and or write when looking for approval at these parks. All the ideas are helpful.

Comment

could i get an idea of....

of what your cover letter said. I am having a tough time putting the words together that represents Whidbey.
                    thx
                    Originally posted by sk8architecture View Post
                    Don't forget that there are monthly council meetings where residence's can talk about what they would like to see. Typically one has to submitt a few weeks prior to the meeting to get on the Agenda. I got the commision for NSRA in Sedro-Woolley which was through Skagit County Parks and Rec. I sent out a letter, much like a cover letter for a job interview, to the local goverments around me and they responed. Mount Vernon or Burlington were not interested but now that the seed has been planted I'm hoping for more.

When you do talk to someone be sure to bring up examples of underutilized and trashy parks and how a disc golf course can inprove it. For example I'm sure Twin Rivers in Arlington had a fair amount of vagrats before the course was installed. I know park activity from Non-golfers is up in Sedro-Woolley because they feel safe with golfers out. I know Cornwall park in Bellingham was filled with drug using bums but the course has pushed them out.

Hey hard economic times it tough for familes to do family activities on a budget, however disc golf provides the perfect oppurtunity for low-budget family fun. Be persistant, stay open minded, and good luck!

Comment

where would i look for maps of the county that shows underutilized land.

Comment

Originally posted by timberwolfe View Post
                        where would i look for maps of the county that shows underutilized land.
                        Just start with Google Maps aerial photos; it's pretty obvious when land isn't being used for anything. Figuring out who OWNS the unused land can be trickier.
                        Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                        Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X