X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finley, WA: Two Rivers Park

Two Rivers Park located in Finley, WA is installing an 18 hole disc golf course. After speaking with some friends of mine in low places I found out the were installing a new 18 hole disc golf course in a park about 5 miles east of Kennewick. The person said they had been to the park and were working on the teepads themselves!!!! Some of the golfers around had heard of this as well. Last Sunday we decided to drive out and see what had been done. After visiting the park they have 18 holes laid out with about 6 teepads entirely done. Im not sure exactly what they used but it seems to be the nice rubber teepads from Innova I think it is. According to the friend of mine who spoke with the guy installing all of this its the "platinum package" from Innova. The course is being installed by the head of the park. This guy has never touched a disc in his life and hasnt contacted our local club at all. Im not sure exactly but the word is sometime in June hes going to have the official opening of the course!!!

I actually see this as such a huge move for the sport. This is the parks department wanting to put a course in. Getting the money. Doing it. All of this with no club, sponsor, or individual disc golfer pushing for anything!!!! Its showing to me that we are growing up some!

Originally posted by DoubleDees View Post
    I actually see this as such a huge move for the sport. This is the parks department wanting to put a course in. Getting the money. Doing it. All of this with no club, sponsor, or individual disc golfer pushing for anything!!!! Its showing to me that we are growing up some!
    It shows that park directors are starting to recognize disc golf as an easy and affordable way to add a recreational activity to a park.

Comment

I would suggest getting involved before the eff the whole thing up.

Comment

Originally posted by gwillim View Post
        I would suggest getting involved before the eff the whole thing up.
        That's what I thought too. It is great they want the course and funded it, but it might not be great to have someone with no experience designing and installing a course.

Comment

Yeah, the "never touched a disc in his life" thing is kind of a red flag. I've been given several "discs" by non-disc golfers, they were the ~60 g, too-cheap-even-to-be-a-decent-beach-frisbee kind. The people were just trying to be nice, and figured one frisbee is as good as another. They probably thought that disc golf was similar in nature to miniature golf. Those are forgivable mistakes from the outsider perspective, but I sure wouldn't want those people trying to design a course!

That's awesome that they're apparently putting so much money towards the course, but yeah, I'd definitely get some of the local players to lend their input.
          Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Yeah, what they said. Stick your nose in as much as you can, as soon as you can, as a club or even as an individual. All it takes is a single disc golfer to point out potential problems.
            Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
              Yeah, what they said. Stick your nose in as much as you can, as soon as you can, as a club or even as an individual. All it takes is a single disc golfer to point out potential problems.
              The guy isnt listening to input from anyone. the course was laid out designed and halfway installed before anyone from the area knew. The only problem with the layout is how close the fairways are. There are some huge holes and its on a beatiful peace of land but everything runs too close for it to ever have good flow in a large tournament. Im sure with some alt pin positions after awhile we could save it. He actually has about an 800 ft quad mando. Its not a pitch and putt course at all which is whats amazing.

Comment

Is this on the east side of the park, around those lagoons?
                Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                  Is this on the east side of the park, around those lagoons?
                  its on the west side. it doesnt play out onto the peninsula that is where most of the park populated in the summertime.

Comment

Wait a sec... no way there's room for an 18-hole course on the west side, especially a course with an 800-foot hole. And the nice picnic-friendly grass-covered peninsula is on the west. I would have assumed the disc golf course would be on a the cruddy-looking eastern side -- i.e., the right side of this map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=h&...,0.017059&z=16
                    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

That east part looks like a nice place to put a 18 hole course, the west part, omg, tim's april fools joke could happen right there...
                      but maybe he's putting in horse hay baskets? hehe...

Comment

its on the west side it plays down the side and then back towards the peninsula the rest of the course is on the south side. its way to tight but its in the grassy area.

Comment

Straight from the horse's mouth... that is, from a Benton County employee via e-mail:

The course idea was from a local player in 2007. Our park ranger at Two Rivers Park really grabbed hold of the idea, believing it would be a great way to boost patronage in the park, which has been in decline over the years. Our Park Board endorsed the project.

The course is 18 holes, with an additional practice target, and a "19th Hole" area with tables, bulletin board, vending machines, and nice view of the surroundings. This is a manicured park setting, which will contrast with the natural ecology found at the area's lone existing course -- Columbia Park. As such, the grounds are "comfortable"... players will be making their way almost entirely on mowed lawns beneath mature tree canopy. The park is immaculately kept by our park ranger.

The course is flat. On the North Nine, there are a couple of elevated tees, but that's it for topography. The course is essentially sandwiched between a raised levee on one side, and the Columbia River on the other. The course was primarily designed by our park ranger with some input from local players. I think he did a fantastic job, and despite the lack of topography or natural encumbrances, there is a lot of challenge in the course in terms of layout. I think it will be enjoyable both for the novice and the more seasoned player.

Holes range from 184-feet to 820-feet. DGA Mach III targets are being used. Tee pads are rubberized horse stall mats. Many tees have benches made from natural basalt rock found onsite, and over time we will decorate with plants, rocks, and other material. It is important to me that the course be not only very playable for disc golfers, but also aesthetic overall. Along with the vending machines, the park has potable water and centralized restrooms. There is plenty of parking and lots of attractive rivershore to hang-out at after your round. We will provide scorecards with pencils and will have an "iron ranger" at the 19th Hole where a modest donation will be asked for.

At this time, I do not have a map that I can send to you, but will shortly. We plan to dedicate the course on the evening of XXXXXXXXX, but please do not put that on your website just yet. We have a fairly unique issue here in that the park is land leased from the US Army Corps of Engineers, and we do not yet have the final approval to dig those holes for the targets (due to cultural resources concerns). I fully expect to get clearance in XXXXXXXXX, but I don't have it yet. I will keep you posted.

Financial investment will be on the order of $15-18k by the time we are through, all paid by the County. This is in addition to the work time invested by the park ranger, who has constructed the entire course himself.

We continue to get a fair number of players who have heard about what we are doing that show up at the park sniffin' around. Some of them try to play the layout, which is marked with tee pads and simple stakes where the targets will go. We know there is a lot of excitement, and we are feeling good about the project. I hope we get a lot of play, and look forward to working with you and others in the disc golf community to make the course a success.
                          Oregon disc golf map

Comment

The east side looks like there is more room but either way the land looks great!
                            "What's in the bag", pdga #37977, dgcr #356, **Team Chainbanger'z**

You are never really playing an opponent. You are playing yourself, your own highest standards, and when you reach your limits, that is real joy.
                            -- Arthur Ashe

Comment

here

Originally posted by JR Stengele View Post
                              The east side looks like there is more room but either way the land looks great!
                              http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=h&...,0.007757&z=17

heres a link to the correct part of the land. the penninsula part is covered with bbq pits and contains the beach area for the swimming hold which is the smaller lagoon. The place is very cramped but it totally looks like a comfortable place to throw. Our only other park has many areas where your walking through weeds picking up stickers in your socks.

This place is almost completely on grass. I walked around the entire disc golf section and everything seems pretty well placed. (Although if this place gets are crowded as columbia park gets there might be a lot of FOURS! being yelled)

I think some of the pad placements where interesting; one of the pads is right up along the water and another (which i assume is the 800 something feet one they where talking about) starts waaaaay back at the upper edge where the power line tower is and where the river dike starts to curve. There is a nice set of stairs and dirt path leading too it. Also i should mention there are even more pads south of the parking lot in that picture. So im not quite sure what order the tees will be probably start at one side of the lot then move to the other.

As of me posting this june 30th it is still not open but all the pads look like they have been put down. As soon as it opens my freinds and i will definatly start going there probably as an alternate or immediatly after doing columbia park. I hear Richland might also have a disc course coming in from our local clubs website for the columbia park.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X