X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for writing to Michelle. If everyone here did, it'd make a difference! As for the meeting, we'll grant you a Tillamook County pass.

They may well have an additional set of feedback forms after tonight's meeting; be sure to fill those out too. (Honestly, it's possible that tonight's meeting will be exactly the same as the last one, but we still need to show up in as great a number as possible.)
    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Meeting wasn't too much different than last time. They had a "near" and "far" future park layout (maps should be on the website soon). The near future had disc golf in the NW area of the park and the far future included adding an "East" course. From what we heard the general attitude towards DG was positive. Having people fill out the comments and showing up certainly helped the cause (thank you to all).

This isn't a done deal but it appears that there is enough support to have enough area to install a 9 hole course right off. Any opposition is going to come from the environmental group who has been volunteering the last 8 or 9 years to restore native species to the park and would prefer no recreational improvements (not just DG) to the park beyond preservation and education (my words, not theirs). Fortunately the Parks & Rec people want to have more people using the park and disc golf just so happens to be a cost effective and low impact way of doing this.

IMO, once they see how many people will actually use the course they will be a lot more open to expanding it around the areas they are trying to preserve. Anything is subject to change but it's looking nothing but positive at this point.

As always, use the comment forms on the website and provide your input.

Comment

Pardon my rant...

WHY is it so freakin' hard to get disc golfers to show up to these meetings? We had four of us there again (Antonia, we saw you on the sign up sheet but didn't know who you were!), which is something... and the only reason they're considering disc golf in this park AT ALL is because a few of us HAVE been attending these meetings. E-mailed comments are nice, but when people take the time to actually show up, it demonstrates a certain level of commitment. Apparently we have demonstrated the level of commitment that warrants them proposing to give us about 5 acres out of this 100-acre park. What might we have if more of us bothered to attend?

Several of the habitat-preservation volunteers -- who will be the ones most strenuously opposing a disc golf course -- always show up to these meetings. And they get singled out by the M.C. and get a round of applause. Meanwhile, out of all the disc golfers in Portland, the best we can do is FOUR? There was a work party at McIver last weekend, and 18 people showed up; is it that a public workshop isn't as much "fun"? (Don't tell me it's because they're usually at 6:00 on a weekday; Tuesday Twos claims to have 46 active players.) There were only about 30 public participants, total, at last night's meeting; if 18 disc golfers had come, we'd have been by far the largest consituency there, and they couldn't ignore that.

If this course ever gets in the ground, a lot more than four people are going to come and play there. Public workshops aren't "sexy," they're not much fun, but they're absolutely necessary. Why is there even a local disc golf club if they're not actively organizing people to help make new courses a reality? Do they only wait until the Parks Department says for sure, "yes, we want a course," so they can show up for the work-party-slash-barbecue?

(Rant off, for now...)

There are no more public meetings scheduled at this point. The next step is going to be to provide even more feedback to the planners. We need to ask for MORE land... not only because it would make for a better course, but because there are many people out there who don't want to see us in the park at all, and we need to counterbalance that. Once new PDFs have been posted on the "Harmony Vision" Web site, I'll start a new thread.

By the way, Justin, I wouldn't necessarily say "the general attitude towards DG was positive." We've gotten a good response from the planners and landscape architects -- who recognize that one of the goals is to get more people moving through the park during all seasons -- but they told me that the public reaction to disc golf has been very mixed. (Granted, a lot of the public has no idea what DG even is; they might hear "golf" and think we want to do clear-cutting of 400-yard fairways.)
        Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
          By the way, Justin, I wouldn't necessarily say "the general attitude towards DG was positive." We've gotten a good response from the planners and landscape architects -- who recognize that one of the goals is to get more people moving through the park during all seasons -- but they told me that the public reaction to disc golf has been very mixed. (Granted, a lot of the public has no idea what DG even is; they might hear "golf" and think we want to do clear-cutting of 400-yard fairways.)
          My comment needed clarification then. I was referring to what Michelle had said reactions were regarding DG being looked at by the decision makers in the Parks & Rec department, which she said was positive. It should go without saying that the average constituent is either indifferent or against disc golf due to lack of awareness/understanding or a preference to see no improvements to the park at all.

Comment

Originally posted by PDXDuck View Post
            My comment needed clarification then. I was referring to what Michelle had said reactions were regarding DG being looked at by the decision makers in the Parks & Rec department, which she said was positive. It should go without saying that the average constituent is either indifferent or against disc golf due to lack of awareness/understanding or a preference to see no improvements to the park at all.
            Gotcha. Yes, that's my take on it as well.
            Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Clackamas Review article, 4/28/09: Harmony Campus plan includes road extension

The near-term plan for the site includes more defined trails in the lower forested part of the site at 82nd Avenue and Harmony Road, a disc golf course, expanded parking facilities, stormwater improvements and an extension of Sunnybrook Road that would cut between the campus and the forested area and meet up with Harmony Road at Fuller Street.

The long-term plan includes expansions of the upper campus portion to include more academic space, a campus mall or community space, and mixed-use development where Toys R Us currently sits. It also envisions completing the trail loop in the lower portion, expanding the disc golf facilities, and adding a picnic area.

Still waiting on a copy of the map so I can post it...
              Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Clackamas Review article, 4/28/09: Harmony Campus plan includes road extension

The near-term plan for the site includes more defined trails in the lower forested part of the site at 82nd Avenue and Harmony Road, a disc golf course, expanded parking facilities, stormwater improvements and an extension of Sunnybrook Road that would cut between the campus and the forested area and meet up with Harmony Road at Fuller Street.

The long-term plan includes expansions of the upper campus portion to include more academic space, a campus mall or community space, and mixed-use development where Toys R Us currently sits. It also envisions completing the trail loop in the lower portion, expanding the disc golf facilities, and adding a picnic area.

Still waiting on a copy of the map so I can post it...
                SWEET!!!!!!!!
                when is the next meeting?

Comment

Originally posted by rob smith View Post
                  SWEET!!!!!!!!when is the next meeting?
                  As I said last week, there are no more public meetings scheduled. They will still be taking input from the public, but final decisions will mostly be up to the planners and parks officials.
                  Oregon disc golf map

Comment

As I said last week, there are no more public meetings scheduled. They will still be taking input from the public, but final decisions will mostly be up to the planners and parks officials.
                    sorry
                    so where do i go to put in my input. i am a cub scout leader and am working with my boys on their ultimate and disc golf belt loops. having a corse that close would make it alot easier.

Comment

Originally posted by rob smith View Post
                      so where do i go to put in my input. i am a cub scout leader and am working with my boys on their ultimate and disc golf belt loops. having a corse that close would make it alot easier.
                      Visit the "Harmony Vision" Web site: http://www.harmonyvision.org/public_involvement.html -- in the lower-right corner of the page, there are contact e-mail addresses. Michelle Healy is the best one to write to, as she's more directly involved with parks. Be SURE to mention the Cub Scouts; we need as much family-oriented testimony as possible! And tell her we need as much land as they're willing to spare...
                      Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Visit the "Harmony Vision" Web site: http://www.harmonyvision.org/public_involvement.html -- in the lower-right corner of the page, there are contact e-mail addresses. Michelle Healy is the best one to write to, as she's more directly involved with parks. Be SURE to mention the Cub Scouts; we need as much family-oriented testimony as possible! And tell her we need as much land as they're willing to spare...
                        thx on it

Comment

Uh-huh!

Be SURE to mention the Cub Scouts; we need as much family-oriented testimony as possible!
                          Yeah cause we don't need any more damn hippies spouting off!
                          Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
                          Remain ye men of faculty complete,
                          Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
                          Attending to our noble bond and contract?
                          Or does here stand the last remaining man
                          To give a fig for rules and order yet,
                          No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
                          Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
                          Ill not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Fingers View Post
                            Yeah cause we don't need any more damn hippies spouting off!
                            We need everyone spouting off.

A new thread has been created HERE.
                            Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                            Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X