X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerry Miller DGC @ Camp Taloali

From what i have been told by the co chairperson and other attendees is that the work party last weekend went off without a hitch and that all 18 anchors are in the ground and 18 toeboards are in. So I'll be going in May to put in a few baskets and see how it is etc. We will be working with the camp to set up a steady schedule and contact addresses for the public to be able to play the course AFTER the summer camp sessions are over so should have everything set up for the public to play in September or October after our first official tournament there in October.

But for right now, i would like to know if there are any disc golfers out there that speciailize in making metal dontation boxes that we could set up for donations since we are not wanting to force pay to play but want a nice donation box up. Maybe even a lost disc box? The caretaker could empty out the box daily no problem.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Ni65ka/CampTaloaliWorkParty
    To get an idea what it looks like. We will do alot more work to it as time progresses. Hole 4 is the longest, 5 is on a hill through some trees. 16 will become a tree hole in 2010.

Comment

But for right now, i would like to know if there are any disc golfers out there that speciailize in making metal dontation boxes that we could set up for donations since we are not wanting to force pay to play but want a nice donation box up. Maybe even a lost disc box? The caretaker could empty out the box daily no problem.
      BUMP

Comment

Here is the update...
        the grand opening of the course is this saturday where we will honor Jerry Miller for his contributions and then have the ODDGA fall annual tournament. I am hoping to get some idea of what scheudle the caretaker and the camp board agreed on for being open to the public.

I want to thank PDXduck big time for coming through with a donation tube that he and his dad made and donated to the course project, that is going in the ground this week as well and is painted bright orange! heh, orange will make you more likely to notice it and donate maybe?

I'll post further updates about how the public can access this course after this weekend.

Comment

thanks for the update that's good stuff. Hopefully they'll keep the park open to the public for a decent amout of time.

Comment

Jerry parked the ceremonial first throw on the first hole in front of 40-50 players and fans. Everyone loved the course! The course is short on paper but very technical but fun technical. The course record now stands at -9, which 3 different Open players got. The natural tees are pretty good, better than most if players keep maintaining it. The first ace was made on hole 8 by Ricky Cornish. I almost aced hole 2 on the last hole but smashed the top and bounced off. Hopefully we will have some sort of schedule set up for those wanting to try it out soon. The donation box made by Bob and Justin Schaefer is bright orange and clearly shows where the first tee is from the road. Just about everyone from first time players to the top Open players gave the course an A plus and look forward to the alt pins and added tee boxes within the next year or two. So ladies and gentlemen, we got another course near salem and on the way to Bend! Again thanks to Jerry Miller's huge sponsorship, which made the whole project go that much faster and the Schaefer's donation box rocks..

And whatever schedule gets worked out, it will be mostly during September-May, so plenty of time....

Comment

For those wondering where this place is, I got this info from the website:

"Camp Taloali is located in the foothills of the Cascade Mountains, only 30 miles from the Jefferson Primitive Area and 16 miles East of Salem on Hwy 22, just past Stayton, Oregon. It is situated on the North Santiam River, and consists of 111 acres of level, forested land set against the spectacular beauty of the Cascade Peaks (Mt. Hood, Mt Jefferson, and the Three Sisters)."

Also here is a map to Camp Taloali

Comment

You can always get directions from The Map: http://www.oregondiscgolf.com/oregon...center=Taloali
                Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Yes, I'll make new announcements on here and will rely on www.oregondiscgolf.com for map/direction info and on www.oregonddga.com as well for schedule etc.
                  For those who are not so sure how to find this place, just head east on hwy 22 from salem to bend. About 2 miles past stayton, there are those "2 hills" that you go over and then a flat part before passing lanes open again. You look for a brown sign that says detroit lake 30 miles, you will see a bigger than normal green street sign about 50 feet before the brown sign, this is where you turn in, go straight, follow the road and you will see an orange donation box a few hundred feet before the main entrance to the camp. And there is adequate shoulder space to pull over to the shoulder a few hundred feet before turning in so traffic can continue as normal. Getting back on hwy 22 can be dangerous and we advise everyone to just waittttt until it is absolutely safe to get back on, don't risk it to save a few seconds or minutes.

Comment

Being among the few people who actually got to play it over the weekend.. It is a great start of a new disc golf course. Just be prepared and use your bright color discs -- Greens/Yellows are hard to find in these bushes! There are a few holes that are recommended to have "scouts/spotters" as it is easy to lose some discs. Also please watch where you walk! There are roots that might be sticking out, holes that are easy to miss (especially on hole 6!). Most importantly! PLEASE PACK IN/PACK OUT! We need to do what we can to help maintain this course and I wish I lived closer so I could play there more often! (I consider myself a novice player and I had gotten 4 birdies, so things are possible!!!)
                    I will post the footage later when I get a chance -- as for directions from one tee to the next - look for the orange arrows! Some of the paths are easy to follow, but keep your eyes peeled!
                    It is a great course to start and I believe it does have potential to develop into a much better course! Way to go ODDGA and Camp Taloali!!
                    Practice - Practice - Practice -- Doing what I can to keep it on the fairway _ at least I try to!
                    DDGA #202; WDDGA #37; ODDGA #47 ; PDGA #38171

Comment

Like what Nathan or Snap said in few posts above, it is small and techincal course with many chances for birdies and aces. The course rocks! Many thanks to Camp Taloali for letting ODDGA to develop and to design the course. The course won't be here if it wasn't for the contribution from Jerry Miller.
                      PDGA 38506
                      ODDGA 27
                      DDGA 176
                      2012 Beaver State Fling Women ADV Master

Comment

These are just rough distance between the tees and baskets at Jerry Miller Disc Golf Course @ Camp Taloali. (all of them are +/- a few feet)
                        Hole 1: 216 ft
                        Hole 2: 219 ft
                        Hole 3: 255 ft
                        Hole 4: 447 ft
                        Hole 5: 315 ft
                        Hole 6: 237 ft
                        Hole 7: 284 ft
                        Hole 8: 256 ft
                        Hole 9: 216 ft
                        Hole 10: 261 ft
                        Hole 11: 317 ft
                        Hole 12: 211 ft
                        Hole 13: 196 ft
                        Hole 14: 198 ft
                        Hole 15: 211 ft
                        Hole 16: 194 ft
                        Hole 17: 146 ft
                        Hole 18: 177 ft
                        Practice - Practice - Practice -- Doing what I can to keep it on the fairway _ at least I try to!

Comment

so, can i come play it? or what do i have to do to be able to play it?

Comment

From what I understand that it is open and they're asking for dontations (at the orange box near hole 1). This is what Snap had shared with the community:

"Yes, I'll make new announcements on here and will rely on www.oregondiscgolf.com for map/direction info and on www.oregonddga.com as well for schedule etc.
                            For those who are not so sure how to find this place, just head east on hwy 22 from salem to bend. About 2 miles past stayton, there are those "2 hills" that you go over and then a flat part before passing lanes open again. You look for a brown sign that says detroit lake 30 miles, you will see a bigger than normal green street sign about 50 feet before the brown sign, this is where you turn in, go straight, follow the road and you will see an orange donation box a few hundred feet before the main entrance to the camp. And there is adequate shoulder space to pull over to the shoulder a few hundred feet before turning in so traffic can continue as normal. Getting back on hwy 22 can be dangerous and we advise everyone to just waittttt until it is absolutely safe to get back on, don't risk it to save a few seconds or minutes."

Snap needs to get more information from the board of Camp Taloali. Most importantly.. please PLEASE! PACK IN/PACK OUT!!! If you find other people's trash, please help us by packing it out also.. we appreciate it!

Comment

i'm working on getting the caretakers a new email address that y'all can email to let them know when you coming.... they have said a few dg'ers have come by unannounced but they were cool. For right now, I would suggest stopping by the mobile home on the left after you enter and let them know you are there to play some disc golf, they are super cool... but it's the "board" that is in control, but if they heard about the overwhelming number of discgolfers coming to play and donating to the course then.........

The course sounds short on paper, but there are enough obstacles to keep it interesting and fun.... and ofc this is only the prelimnary layout... the 147 foot hole is not super easy heh...

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X