X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New: 36 holes of disc golf in Mount Shasta

I played Anderson River Park (Anderson, CA) yesterday, and was chatting with one of the locals... he mentioned something about a new course being built in the town of Mount Shasta (about an hour south of the Oregon border on I-5). Google searches told me very little, so I tracked down the e-mail address of a guy in Weed who seemed like he might know something. Here's what I just got back:

"36 holes...baskets went in last year Behind the high school...2 yr project to get the 52 acres cleared and course designed...needless to say it is still pretty rough and I will be working on putting in tee pads this summer...signs are up and the 4 nine hole courses are worth playing..."

If I have time on my way back north next weekend, I WILL be checking this out, at least to see it if not play it.
    Oregon disc golf map

Let us know.. Perhaps Nathan "Snaps" will check it out and throw it on the ODDGA/NorCal Disc Golf group event..

Good luck..
    Practice - Practice - Practice -- Doing what I can to keep it on the fairway _ at least I try to!
    DDGA #202; WDDGA #37; ODDGA #47 ; PDGA #38171

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
      I played Anderson River Park (Anderson, CA) yesterday, and was chatting with one of the locals... he mentioned something about a new course being built in the town of Mount Shasta (about an hour south of the Oregon border on I-5). Google searches told me very little, so I tracked down the e-mail address of a guy in Weed who seemed like he might know something. Here's what I just got back:

"36 holes...baskets went in last year Behind the high school...2 yr project to get the 52 acres cleared and course designed...needless to say it is still pretty rough and I will be working on putting in tee pads this summer...signs are up and the 4 nine hole courses are worth playing..."

If I have time on my way back north next weekend, I WILL be checking this out, at least to see it if not play it.

Is this a JD Lee project??
      "In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NWDiscer View Post
        Is this a JD Lee project??
        It is.
        Oregon disc golf map

Comment

It is.
          Nice
          "In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

lucky

I think I remember Jeff calling it his 4 Leaf Clover course.
            Knowing JD this should be a very cool thing.
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Flatroc View Post
              I think I remember Jeff calling it his 4 Leaf Clover course.
              That would fit with him saying it was "four 9-hole courses"... that's a cool concept, if you've got the right land for it.

By the way, I suspect this is the plot of land we're talking about: http://www.oregondiscgolf.com/?cente....30075&zoom=16 -- either that or the area directly east of the school.

I nominate this as the "disc golf course most likely to be destroyed by a volcano." It is RIGHT at the bottom of Mt. Shasta.
              Oregon disc golf map

Comment

I wonder now if JD will have a big golf weekend playing the new 36 hole course with the the course on Mt. Shasta this summer? Man love that mountain course!!! May have to go down this summer .

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Madrid View Post
                  I wonder now if JD will have a big golf weekend playing the new 36 hole course with the course on Mt. Shasta this summer?
                  I think I read somewhere on a NorCal DG page that he was using the mountain baskets for the new course... so unless they get more, they might not be able to be up simultaneously.
                  Oregon disc golf map

Comment

I walked two of the four courses at the "Mount Shasta Disc Golf Complex" on Saturday. (I would've done all of them, but it was pouring rain and snow.) As suspected, each 9-hole loop begins and ends at the same central location. All 36 holes are 100% playable, with signs on every hole and arrows pointing the way to the next hole. All it's missing is teepads.

I took some pictures; I'll post them soon. Think Hyzer Pines but with tall oaks and manzanita shrubs instead of pines and sagebrush.
                    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Oh!!!! Now I can start dreaming! Tall Oaks! No sagebrush to get poked by! Yeah!!!! It's going to be on my wish list to play and hopefully this summer or late spring I'll be able to check it out!
                      Practice - Practice - Practice -- Doing what I can to keep it on the fairway _ at least I try to!

Comment

Originally posted by Mystjava View Post
                        No sagebrush to get poked by! Yeah!!!!
                        That doesn't mean there aren't other things to poke you though... I saw some wild 'n' wacky thorny stuff that I hadn't even seen before. But overall I think the vegetation will be pretty benign; the high Cascades are not the lushest environment.

I've added the new course to DGCR: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3221
                        Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Maybe I spoke too soon? I hope it isn't as thorny and painful as some of the nw blackberries! Gosh.. I hate those, especially after my discs land in the smack dab middle of them!

Comment

That doesn't mean there aren't other things to poke you though... I saw some wild 'n' wacky thorny stuff that I hadn't even seen before. But overall I think the vegetation will be pretty benign; the high Cascades are not the lushest environment.

I've added the new course to DGCR: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3221
                            Adam,

Are those true par 3's on every hole or they assigned as the general par like most dg courses?

Comment

They don't list any pars on the signs, which assumably makes them all par 3. I didn't see any holes that were obviously par 4 or par 5 anyway.

Typical tee sign (albeit for the longest hole on the course):

Start of the west course, with typical terrain:
                              Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X