X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes to Corbin Park DGC

I know many people around the Spokane/Coeur d'Alene area know about the proposed changes to the disc golf course at Corbin Park but I think there is still a lot of misinformation. I am a board member with the North Idaho Recreators Disc Golf Club and our board members have been going to Post falls park and Rec meetings since last summer to gather information on the changes and add our input. I have heard some very interesting opinions from local players about what they think is happening there. Basically, the city will add camping to Corbin Park which will affect 6 holes or more. Currently holes 1,2,3,4,5, and 15 are to be removed. The city did propose making the course 18 holes, which I know many people are excited to hear, but here are the proposed distances for their 18 hole layout.

Hole 1 - 183 ft
    Hole 2 - 172 ft
    Hole 3 - 208 ft ( a modified version of current hole 5)
    Hole 4 - 302 ft (current hole 6)
    Hole 5 - 209 ft 9 ( similar to current hole 7)
    Hole 6 - 85 ft (No I did not forget any digits there - 85 feet)
    Hole 7 - 126 ft
    Hole 8 - 117 ft
    Hole 9 - 149 ft
    Hole 10 - 109 ft
    Hole 11 - 111 ft (shortened version of current hole 8 which is already short)
    Hole 12 - 87 ft (again, I did not forget any digits - 87 ft)
    Hole 13 - 80 ft (ditto from above)
    Hole 14 - 172 ft (half of current hole 9)
    Hole 15 - ? ft (current hole 10)
    Hole 16 - 211 ft (current hole 11)
    Hole 17 - 211 ft (a modified version of current hole 12)
    Hole 18 - 59 ft (uses current 13 teepad, and no, I did not forget any digits - a 59 foot hole)

I have not added up the distance for the entire course but does this look like a feasable 18 hole course. The NIRDGC may propose a 14 hole summer layout with an 18 hole Off-season layout when the camping area is closed. If you would like to submit your input please contact Dave Fair, he is the Park and Rec Director for PF. He can be reached at:

(208) 773-0539
    Dave Fair
    City of Post Falls
    408 Spokane St.
    Post falls, ID 83854

you can probably get more information about the changes at www.postfallsidaho.org

what about a smaller hole count w/ longer holes? the length on those sound a bit crazy.
    Work is for people that dont golf!!!!!

Comment

As it stands now there is not much that could be done to make newer longer holes within the park as pretty much all the space has some type of designated use. I would agree that 9 good holes (with distance and difficulty but not necessarily both) would be better than 18 pathetic holes. In my OWN opinion, I think it would be best to scrap disc golf at Corbin Park if the city is unwilling to work with us and persue a new course at a new location with Corbin's baskets (plus 3 new ones of course). Again, just my opinion.

Comment

Jump putting from the teepad is always sweet.
        We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

you should talk with jeremy about the state line course. i know he is really close to getting the go ahead on it and its only a few miles down the road from corbin

Comment

I am very interested in learning more about the course at Stateline (Gateway Park) as well as the course at Plants Ferry Park. I also would like to learn more about the rumored Spokane Valley DG Club. It sounds to me like you could be implying that I should talk to Jeremy about putting Corbin's baskets at the Stateline course. I don't think any of the North Idaho disc golfers would go for moving the baskets out of state despite out of state only being a couple miles away. I think the first option that the club would persue would be to get another course location in Post Falls and if that didn't work then looking elsewhere - outside of town but still in N. Idaho. As far as I know with the baskets at Corbin at least 10 of them are the property of the city, it is rumored that about 5 baskets were perchased by the old North Idaho Disc Golf Association - that's just heresay as far as I am concerned. If the baskets did ever get taken out of Corbin Park there are a couple of other options that could be feasible within the city.

Comment

Meeting about Corbin Park DGC

There will be a meeting this coming Wed, Jan. 6th at 6:30pm at the Post Falls Public Library about the proposed changes to the Corbin Park Disc Golf Course. This meeting is strictly with the disc golfers as far as I know and will not have any city officials. The plan of the meeting will pretty much be to choose a position that the club will take in regard to the changes and we want to not only get the feedback of North Idaho Recreators Disc GOlf Club members but also disc golfers in general who use Corbin Park. So come speak your mind to the club and sign the petition that we have started that will be turned in at the next PF Park and Rec Meeting, which I think will be later this month (I'll post that info when I learn specifics). I think we have about 10 pages of signatures so far and the more the better.

Comment

i don't think you should give the baskets to another course but i think corbin would do fine as a nine hole course if there was another course a few miles away

Comment

Why must it be 9 or 18? Why not find a nice 12- or 15-hole layout? Or 11 or 14?
                  Oregon disc golf map

Comment

just thoughts

corbin now is a 15 hole course. i think a more "normal" length course would suit just fine whether that be 9, 12, 15 , or what ever. with the other courses in the area you play a quick round at corbin then play another one in the area; ie state line, plants ferry, or even go into CDA and play those. i just think that yes while the ace rate would go up the proposed lay-out is more then a little ridiculous. my apoligies to whom ever designed it i really dont mean to stomp on your design, i just think that less holes would be better.
                    what happened to the idea of Q'emiln Park, off by the rock climbing area to the west.
                    Work is for people that dont golf!!!!!

Comment

The 18 hole rediculous layout was designed by the guy who was in charge of redesigning the whole park - who knows nothing about disc golf just thought he would be able to design a good 18 hole course

Q'emlin Park would be a sweet place for a course and many have thought of that. It's an area that the club may persue still but that will take a lot of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                        Why must it be 9 or 18? Why not find a nice 12- or 15-hole layout? Or 11 or 14?
                        Why make a pool table with 6 pockets? Why not 7? Or 5?
                        Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                        Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                        Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                        Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                        Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Originally posted by TreeLove View Post
                          Why make a pool table with 6 pockets? Why not 7? Or 5?

This response would only make sense if disc golf courses were regular geometric shapes.
                          Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Tournament feasibility is why 18 is preferred. If there are no tourneys planned at a course then who cares how many holes it has - even then really it still doesn't matter too much. You could have more or less holes and still run a tourney but 18 minimum is preferred. With the way Corbin is set up now it is still alright to run a tourney you just need to get creative and add 3 more decent holes to get your 18.

Comment

My look on this situation is this, Post Falls is taking away from the most fun and family ready course in the area.

Phew, I feel better, and I already signed the petition. Would do it twice, but um, I can't?
                              "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                              Cleveland Brown

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X