X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let the construction begin

Monte from CDA Parks Dept. emailed me to say that his boss has okayed our proposed layout pretty much as is. We can begin work at any time. Geoff Carr emailed me yesterday to ask how soon he can begin some work out there. Time for interested parties to place their name and phone # on a volunteer call list. Spread the word. Anyone willing to meet Jeff and I out there next week can help us plan materials needed for various new teepads. My general plan to recommend to the Club is to 1) build level teepads with RR ties on the new holes that need significant leveling ( #3, #4, #6, #11, #12, #13, #17 and #18); install new sleeves or move selected sleeves from existing holes to set up one basket location on each new hole; 3) prep the more level new teepad sites. This work could be done without disrupting play on the existing course. Once all the new teepad sites are prepped and one sleeve is in for each new hole, then 4) pick a weekend to make the switch to the new layout. At that time move all tee mats to new tee sites and place all baskets in new configuration. Add some temporary signage to explain the layout. The course would be closed for as little as one day while the switches are being made. Then with the new course playable, additional work could go on to place the second basket sleeve for each hole, and improve the rest of the tee pads that need only minor changes. After the new course is in play for a month or so, we should have all the alternate placments in and be ready to move baskets from the "A" course to the "B" course.

Comment

Any Party Animals out there?

As in WORK PARTY that is. I spoke with Monte at CdA Parks Dept today. They discussed our proposed work plan for Cherry Hill at their staff meeting yesterday. Looks good to them. Monte's only question was what trimming/tree removal needs to be done, so he can point it out to Bill Greenwood. Sound like Monte would like to do the cutting/clearing rather soon. He said we can begin our work parties at our discretion. Anyone in for a "party"? I say we get the ball rolling and do a little digging soon before the ground freezes hard. Doesn't need to be a big deal. 3 or 4 guys for 3 or 4 hours would be a good start.

Comment

Im only available on weekends and i want to share my wknd time with my spouse. You and i Jack (with others) have been the anchors in the past. How about the course redisigners, have you herd from either of them?

Comment

Yes, actually, Ben has asked to get started doing some levelling of teepad sites, and it sounds like he has a couple helpers lined up. Also Chris Chase, Cody Hixson, Brian Johnston, and Aaron Anderson have added their names to the volunteer list at Rapid Fire, so we have a small core of people to call on. You've put in a good chunk of time at both Cherry Hill and Corbin, Tom, so I say don't feel bad about letting some others get their hands dirty on this project. It will be an extended process over the next several months and lots of people will need to get involved. Many hands make light work, as they say.

Comment

Update on Cherry Hill redesign

I met with 3 reps from the CdA Parks Dept at Cherry Hill on thursday Dec. 1. we walked the course and reviewed the revised layout and the requested pruning/limbing/tree removal to accommodate the changes. Here's a rundown on the results: Hole #1 - they are open to the concept of an elevated peninsula. Their preference would be a steep but mowable slope around it. I expressed a preference for a rock retainer for a more unique and challenging feature. They will give it some thought. Hole #2 - they prefer not to move the teepad any closer to the Memorial. suggesed leaving it where it is and bringing the #8 teepad back. Should work. Ben came up with a great suggestion later: reverse the numbering of those two holes. The new #8 would become #2. The old #2 would become the new #8. I think it would flow better, keeping #8 players from walking across other basket areas. Hole #3 and #4- they are okay with as requested. Hole #5 - okay as proposed. Open to possibility of some limited pruning to open more of a lane if we want a longer pin placement to the left and uphill into the trees. Hole #6 - The initial tee work is infringing on the road embankment. Needs to move away from the road a bit. Okay with limbing low branches in front of tee. Hole #7 - no discussion. Ben later requested limbing of lower branches within putting range of basket, for drives/upshots that go long. Hole #8 - see notes for Hole #2. One tree removal or limbing to be decided after tee and basket are in place. Hole #9 - okay to use slab. Will limb branches by teepad. Will remove only a portion (right third) of lilac hedge below old #9 tee. Still gives a good fairway opening. Hole #10 - Willing to remove 3 trees for the new pin placement to the right, but changed the selection, leaving one healthy tree in the middle. Still leaves a wide gap, but with the single tree as a potential obstacle. As Ben said - even if you hit that tree, you'll still have a putt. Hole #11 - okay with new tee closer to corner. Hole #12 - move tee slightly left so tree in question can be just limbed up rather than removed. Hole #13 - They are okay with removing the 3 small trees to open a throwing lane to the right off the tee. Reluctant to removing all we requested for the tight shot across the ravine. For that, they will trim back a portion of the first bush but not remove it; in the gully, they will remove only the right tree of the two we requested, but will limb up the other tree, plus another tree further right. We will need to move the pin placement 10 or 12 feet to the right to align with the opening that will be provided. Hole #14 - no discussion. Will need some minor limbing for the new long basket position, but should be no problem. Hole #15 - After new tee is set they will look at what minor clearing needs to be done. Hole #16 - after new pin placement is in on far side of ravine, they will look at limbing low branches as needed. Hole #17 - okay with removal of one bush near new pin placement. Ben later suggested making the second basket placement left of the existing pin rather that right of it, providing a much different shot through an existing alleyway. Hole #18 - will do limited limbing as needed after basket placements are established. Practice Putting basket needs to be located where they planned it - to the right of tee #1, toward the tennis courts. Overall the City Parks Dept. is very cooperative. The changes were all relatively minor and sought to retain a good design for the Disc Golf layout.

Comment

Work update

Ben Squires once again led the charge and was joined today by myself, Cody Hixson, Chris Chase and Geoff Carr. We got two new tees formed up with timbers: #15 and #17. Ready for some fill dirt and gravel in the spring. I was able to borrow a generator from a friend at the last minute, so didn't need to rent one. Should be able to use it for future work parties. Now that we've got several people who are familiar with the plan, they can independentlty go out with small groups and continue the work. It definitely will be an extended process to complete it all, but will sure be nice when it's done.

Comment

Today's progress report

Had another good turnout today with Ben Squires, Geoff Carr, Chris Chase, Aaron Anderson and myself. We have now completed tees #4, 6, 11, 12, 13, 15, and 17, and got started on #18. Ben, Geoff and Aaron plan to work again tomorrow! This thing is shaping up fast! I'm glad we ended up using the pressure treated 6x6's instead of railroad ties. They do look much nicer, and are way easier to work with. We encountered 3 or 4 inches of frozen ground, but overall it wasn't too bad digging. We've been very fortunate with the weather.

Comment

Thanks for all the hard work guys. I am trying to make a time happen that will work for me to get out there and help - because I really do want to help - but so for that last few and next few weekends I have had plans in advance. I'm sure I'll be able to help before all is said and done. I am looking forward to seeing what has happened already out there and what's to come.

Comment

progress report

Amazing what you can get done with just a few dedicated volunteers. We have now completed setting the 6x6 timbers to level tees for #3, #4, #6, #11, #12, #13, #15, #17, and #18 !!!!!. One more work party scheduled for this Wednesday at 1:00. I think that will be all we can squeeze in before the winter weather really hits. We'll be in great shape to finish the new course quickly once the ground thaws in the spring. Kudos to Ben Squires, Geoff Carr, Aaron Anderson, Chris Chase, Brian Johnston, Kris Cummings, and Cody Hixson - who have accomplished all this.

Comment

Weather outlook still favorable

Ben, Geoff, Mason Healy and I put in a couple hours this afternoon. Got a late start due to having to run and get a backup generator, but we dug, set and fastened the timbers for the new tee at #5, and drilled and fastened the timbers for new tee #3, so both are ready for backfill. Also moved all the spare timbers from various tees to the tees where they will be needed. Will continue this Saturday with drilling and fastening timbers for teepad frames. The only tee left with any digging to do for 6x6 timbers is #16 (old #15), and that only needs about 3 timbers set in place.

Comment

Thanks for the hard work Jack, Ben, Geoff, Aaron , Chris , Brian, Kris , Mason,etc
                        Last edited by tomw; December 17th, 2011, 08:55 PM.

Comment

progress report

Had a spectacular December day for working outside today, and Scott Wardian, Ben Squires, Geoff Carr and myself "nailed down" several more tee frames. We completed fastening #6 and added one more step off the front, fastened down #4 (the big guy!), as well as #11, #12, and #13. The only ones left are #18 to be unstacked and pinned in place, and #16 - which we scoped out and planned for levelling. Ben and Geoff will try to get the timbers placed for #16 in the coming week. Don't know if we'll get back out with the generator right away, or just wait til spring thaw to fasten those two. Next step will be backfill and gravel, and that will have to wait til spring.
                          Oh yeah - thanks also to Caylen VanZandt who showed up and helped Ben and I finish #11 at the end of the day.

Comment

Those tee pads are gonna be bad@$$. I think when Cherry Hill is done it will have the nicest tee pads outside of Farragut SP, maybe nicer, who knows? They look awesome. Glad I was able to make it out today to lend a hand and to see what had already been done. Making some real nice progress. Can't wait to play it after all this hard work is done.

Comment

news coverage for Cherry Hill

Ben Squires was contacted by someone from the CdA Press interested in writing about the improvements to the disc golf course at Cherry Hill. They were going to meet at the course for some photos and an interview yesterday. Also on Tuesday I had a voicemail from Monte at the CdA Parks Dept. asking if we had a picture of a disc golfer in action at Cherry Hill that they could post on the city's website. Ben emailed me a nice photo today and I've sent it to Monte. Anxious to see what kind of article shows up in the newspaper as a result of Ben's interview. I think the same reporter called Rapid Fire today seeking more info on Cherry Hill.

Comment

The reporter also called me wanting to ask my opinion on the matter as well and I have not contacted her back yet I will try to contact her on Monday if it is not too late too see if I can lend my assistance since she has already spoke with Ben. Should be interesting to see.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X